Your plant collections?

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
My shoot got too tall for the deli cup lid real fast so I put an upturned plastic candy tub over the entire cup. It seems to be doing ok with that. I'm a little worried about how to transition it to no humidity lid and at what size I should do that. I've got some really nice flower pots I'd like to move em to when they're bigger.
I misted my Exo-terra pretty heavily before bringing them inside. And I did it at night, so the leaves were folded inward (love how they do that). Sadly, I was about 3 days too late, so the burned up sprouts didn't make it. Once they have a few shoots, I'm sure it'll be less humidity dependant. This is one of the few ones that should have come with an egg about 4x bigger lol.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
I have like a couple of dehydrated Tillandsia xerographica by my veranda lol.

I'm planning to get a few venus flytraps on my way back home

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
D.binata and D.capensis are all I have now. I want to get back into flytraps soon.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beautiful. I hear they're a bit tougher to care for than most other carnivorous plants.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Beautiful. I hear they're a bit tougher to care for than most other carnivorous plants.

Yeah, some people have trouble keeping these plants alive, others are able to grow 'em like weeds. I'm hoping I fall under the latter lol. I was told Nepenthes alata is one of the easier species to grow. If I can keep this guy alive for a year then I think I'll get one of the monster Nepenthes ssp. This is probably the last plant I'll be getting in a while, I need to focus on getting more T's!!!

-JohnD.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I found one at a grocery store about a month ago, sometimes the get weird stuff in. Looks like the same pot, I wonder if they came from the same source. So it's N. alta?

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Nice! I didn't even know grocery stores carry these. Yours does look like the same species as mine, Nepenthes alata. Was there a label on it that said which nursery it was grown from? Mine came from a nursery called 'Green Acres'.

-JohnD.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They usually don't but this one one of those "organic" stores that I don't go too often, prices are crazy ...a two dollar donut LOL, sucker was good though. There wasn't a price on them and no label, there were only two left. The lady said they were gone in a few days. Cali is a good place for stuff like this, at least it doesn't freeze. I'm tired of bringing stuff in when it freezes but I know I'm going to sell this place, no reason to build a greenhouse here. You think you could plant that outside somewhere where it gets enough water, or is it too dry there, low humidity?

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
They usually don't but this one one of those "organic" stores that I don't go too often, prices are crazy ...a two dollar donut LOL, sucker was good though. There wasn't a price on them and no label, there were only two left. The lady said they were gone in a few days. Cali is a good place for stuff like this, at least it doesn't freeze. I'm tired of bringing stuff in when it freezes but I know I'm going to sell this place, no reason to build a greenhouse here. You think you could plant that outside somewhere where it gets enough water, or is it too dry there, low humidity?
lol I know what you mean; food there looks great but I wouldn't know-- not willing to pay $7 on a 12oz cup of pasta. I go to those stores just to take their deli-cups; local one here carries the clearest one's I can get for my critters. As for plants, I've only seen them carry flowers and such, but maybe I'll ask if they could get some Nepenthes if I can prove to myself that I can keep my current one alive.
Cali (or at least where I'm at) actually does get it's fair share of frost. Last winter was unusually bad, set-back my first Akai Ryu venus flytrap from frost burn and once was bigger compared to my pic of it now. I think conditions a bit more down to SoCal would benefit these plants though. It's definitely too dry in summer and cold in winter where I'm at to plant a Nepenthes outside.

Wow those Nepenthes are so cool! Do they get much bigger than the one in the pictures?
I'm not sure, this is my first Nepenthes ssp. There are pics of this plant that seem to have HUGE pitcher traps, like seen here (not my pic of course)

-JohnD.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I'll have to get a good pic of a couple of mimosa trees around here for you guys. They really are very pretty.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll have to get a good pic of a couple of mimosa trees around here for you guys. They really are very pretty.
Ooh yeah show us! Mimosas are so pretty, I've been thinking about getting a small tree. I need to take a picture of my Mimosa pudica sprouts.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
Yeah I know I said I wont buy any more plants this year but I lie to myself all the time. Here's some new additions!

Finally got some Sarracenia:

Also made a new sundew pot:

A new small red venus flytrap addition "Royal Red". Still a little banged up from repotting but should recover in a few weeks:

And finally more Nepenthes:

Yeah I need to dust the place soon lol

One quick update on my older sundew pot:

The capensis caught a California katydid and thus exploded in growth:

Spatulatas and intermedias feeding on some crickets ( the red sundew is a new one BTW:

The seeds are still not ready to harvest but it looks like they will soon.

-JohnD.

Last edited:

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I'm still working on getting you guys some pics of full grown mimosa trees. I don't drive though and my husband doesn't know what I'm talking about when I try to ask him to take me to one. Next time I see one though I will definitely mark the place and make him come back for the pic LOL

Defalt

Arachnosquire
I have some bonsai mango and durian trees , I used to have a nepenthese plant but it died (probably not the climate since they are native to here) I also have an air plant , small collection because I mostly grow short lived , edible plants