Your opinion on this reddit post

fearlessdawg

Arachnopeon
Apologies if this is not allowed, but thought would share this post from reddit regarding a likely dying c. Versi.

This person rehomed their c. Versicolor around 3 -4 days ago into an exo terra with a modded lid, and that it was fine before rehouse. Im no expert but this person has clearly stated that they have had a fan blowing at the bottom air vents for the last 3 - 4 days. Surely that is the reason? Wondered what you all thought

https://www.reddit.com/r/tarantulas/comments/102sm3k

Last edited by a moderator:

DonLouchese

Arachnosquire
Hello there,

I've never in my life seen someone actually do this so this is quite new. I am pretty sure that is quite weird. I'd say pretty dangerous for the T. But I can't really tell for 100% if that is what It's making the T so lethargic , but it could be one of the reasons.

As well good questions to ask yourself is ;
1. Did you leave your T without the fan , how did it react then? If he put the fan there in the 1st second of rehouse, that is just straight up weird.
2. Did you use any chemicals to wash the enclosure or might've put something in the enclosure that is suspicious. (For example I keep track of rehouse/sub change/... especially for cases like this) - did i use previous soil / new soil / new branches / old branches / cork tubes etc...

The important thing is to know when did this lethargic movement start to recognize what caused it. If this guy straight up put a fan underneath / rehoused the T and put everything new inside you won't be able to tell what's wrong.

By putting it all combined and checking pictures ; This terrarium probably has 40%-50% humidity max. The soil looks completely dry , I don't see any wet spots, Avic does need some humid. + This fan is literally blowing out humidity / water instantly. The circulation in Exo enclosures is enough with it's mesh lid / or make a new one that has holes and it will do fine. - He needs to remove the fan and give her some water. CLAY balls on the bottom to reach humidity level with water pour.

Regards,

Don

fearlessdawg

Arachnopeon
Hi. Agreed, could be many factors. Just thought the big fan blowing into the tank would be an instant red flag.

The person has since rehoused into old enclosure and has also given water, I think.

Also just adding, agree that exo terra and mesh lid are fine. Search on here shows that, amongst other source.

Last edited by a moderator:

DonLouchese

Arachnosquire
I'd say fixing stuff afterwards with tarantulas is hard. And as well there is panic involved cause he doesn't probably know what to do. So he'll eventually try to put the fan next to the old one as well.

Get rid of the fan / humidify enclosure. And wait if it helps. He can't do anything else.

fearlessdawg

Arachnopeon
Hi. I did tell them to sign up here and post for assistance and not take advice from reddit. But didn’t see their posting so thought I would post it.

I stick to here for advice myself as some much bad info on there.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Mod Note

Please keep replies to this thread on topic. If you have comments regarding the content of the Reddit post, feel free to share them. But do not post your opinions or experiences with either the tarantula Reddit group or Reddit in general here. If you wish to talk about Reddit tarantula groups, or any other online tarantula community, then go to the Watering Hole forum and find one of the hundreds that already exist on the topic.