Your opinion on Python regius???

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm sick of writing this over and over again,when people tell newbies thatcorns are better because they are less frustrating,so I wrote this.

Ball Pythons are great.I don't know how they can be frustrating if you keep their temperatures right,don't stress them out much,and if it is CB.I got mine from Petco,yeah,Petco,and it never missed a meal,she only takes F/T,I tried P/K,but she refused it.Corns are just,way too common in the herp industry.Same with Ball Pythons,but I think they are a little better than corn snakes,I mean how can you refuse that little face? They also get a little girthier,which is kind of cool to me.

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I personally like corns better, but it's all about personal preference. I don't regret getting a corn first at all. I don't think my ball is boring or anything, but he's not quite as fun to watch as my corns, since they move around a lot more. My ball's never missed a feeding, but had a time getting him started on dead prey, whereas I've rarely had a corn that wouldn't take it. I don't think there's really a better snake between the two, but I think a corn would be a better snake to start off with. Corns also come cheaply in all sorts of color morphs, and probably would fare better in spite of beginner mistakes. Just my two cents :)

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So you're saying people are wrong about Royals being frustrating based on your experience with one snake? :rolleyes: Believe me, they are not lying when you hear stories of royals fasting for extrememly long times, and it can have nothing to do with conditions or stress levels. I currently have two royals. One, the female, has never missed a meal, sheds perfectly every time and is generally a joy to keep. Ii also have a male that hasnt eaten for over 6 months, whenever he sheds tends to retain eye caps or a piece of tail and is the most timid little snake i have ever had. Now, i know it isn't down to conditions i am keeping him in, they are the same as the females. It is just that he is a difficult snake. I hope he will start eating again this spring. For a beginner, it could be really disconcerting having a snake go off it's food for half a year, especially if it has nothing to do with good or bad husbandry (although it can do). My corns on the other hand never go off food (unless sick), shed very very well and are very hardy and tolerant of stress/regular handling. Because of this, i would always recommend a corn as a starter snake, and a royal to move up to once you have a little experience.

Cheers,

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Corns are my prefered snake of choice [obsoleta and candoia also]
Just sick of all the hype that has been put on Ball Pythons and Balls also have more problems than corns , fasting, temps,and food preferences that some may have. Not to mention the het for this , that and the other thing.

Ishkabibble

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Count me as a Ball Python fan, I have two. A female that's 2 yrs. old and a pleasure to keep. She never goes off her feed. And a recently aquired hatchling as yet unsexed. It's a trip, hates the pre-shed soak, freaks out if placed in any small quantity of water. So I wrap it in a warm, wet towel and it sheds with no problem and is a consistent feeder so far. I have 2 Boas as well, so I'm a bigger fan of Boidaes I'd have to say, than I am of Colubridaes.