You'll want this

petkokc

Arachnosquire
I'm going to try and build a small light table with some frosted glass I have lying around. Much better for sexing, which is why I bought this in the first place. Just going to pick up a cheap LED and slide switch at RadioShack and mount the glass to a wooden frame.
Just get led light like the one I use in my videos. It has "frosted" plastic cover and you can adjust the light intensity so it can be used as the "table".

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Just get led light like the one I use in my videos. It has "frosted" plastic cover and you can adjust the light intensity so it can be used as the "table".
That would be the easier (and probably more functional) solution, but man, there's something to be said about making something yourself. I'm sure you can sympathize ;)

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I haven't used a microscope for years...I'm thinking about picking one up but I'm not sure I would be able to get your model at the moment. At what magnification could you get a clear view of sexing a tarantula? Would one of those "cheaper" jeweler's microscopes or "kid" microscopes work just as well?

There's a science supply store around where I live and they have plenty of cool stuff like that.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I haven't used a microscope for years...I'm thinking about picking one up but I'm not sure I would be able to get your model at the moment. At what magnification could you get a clear view of sexing a tarantula? Would one of those "cheaper" jeweler's microscopes or "kid" microscopes work just as well?

There's a science supply store around where I live and they have plenty of cool stuff like that.
A jeweler's microscope is exactly what I used for years. I could accurately sex slings at around 1" with it, and it had a max magnification of 45x. This standing scope is a hell of a lot easier, but I admit it was a bit of a frivolous purchase :D

how does it connect with android? is it just an app or through or physical cord?
Both, yes. You download the app, plug it in, and that's all. No calibration or setup involved. The cable that's connected to the scope is a 2-in-1: standard USB and micro USB.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
A jeweler's microscope is exactly what I used for years. I could accurately sex slings at around 1" with it, and it had a max magnification of 45x. This standing scope is a hell of a lot easier, but I admit it was a bit of a frivolous purchase :D

Both, yes. You download the app, plug it in, and that's all. No calibration or setup involved. The cable that's connected to the scope is a 2-in-1: standard USB and micro USB.
So USB type C should work then if one side is standard USB?