You won't believe what I just found

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I found this guy running across the kitchen floor in my parents house. I love Arizona. I've spent sereral days looking for this species, without finding anything. I guess I should stay closer to home.

Last edited:

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you lucky, unlucky... *****

that is so cool and terrifying at the same time:}

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great find!! I find Hemiscolopendra marginata and rarely the big red ones which I have no idea what they are called but maybe someone can help me out. It was about 5" and deep red colored. Not red orange but apple red.. First time I have ever seen one like that around here..

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow that's awesome! It's cool when stuff like that happens. Are they starting to come out around there now?, looks like it. That looks like a young one(?) I hunted around for 4 hours a few days and found nothing! What county are your parents in where there is that banded form?

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure it came from under the crawl space. Now I'm debating whether or not to go under the house tommorow. It's not to big either. I've seen Sc heros arizonensis over 8". I'm wondering where the mother's at.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow that's awesome! It's cool when stuff like that happens. Are they starting to come out around there now?, looks like it. That looks like a young one(?) I hunted around for 4 hours a few days and found nothing! What county are your parents in where there is that banded form?
I know how you feel. I flipped thousands of rocks the last few weeks, only to find one in my parent's house while on vacation. My parents live in Pinal county Az. This is a great time for pedes. I collected 4 or 5 different species up north a few weekends ago. It will dry out in a few weeks and these guys will disappear.

John

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great find!! I find Hemiscolopendra marginata and rarely the big red ones which I have no idea what they are called but maybe someone can help me out. It was about 5" and deep red colored. Not red orange but apple red.. First time I have ever seen one like that around here..
Scolopendra alternans "Florida" :)
Lucky you, they are gorgeous!
Picture.

Miss Bianca

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think I'd have cardiac arrest if I found something like that in my home!!! (I'm in NY, so no chance... lol ) ...
although most people that know me and my hobby would say that about my Ts... which I'd never react that way to if I saw...

wowww... very cool!

hewlet

Arachnopeon
Nice catch ! i wish i could find of this guys crawling on my floor, but here i Norway with snow and 5C(41F) i could only see them in my dreams (i always hunting for them in my dreams, ha ha)

german shepard

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Remember many years ago?

I remember along time ago, in the military stationed at Williams A.F. Base outside of Phoenix, I use to collect inverts. Never could locate a Scolopendra Heros Arizonesis. After the base closed transfered out here to Texas to continue my carrer as firefighter. Continued collecting, never did find that ultimate Centipede (as I call it) refering to color and size! So I did the next best thing, bought one from Brandon at Reptist awhile ago. Nice 7" plus still around. Probably one of the more docile species of Centipedes I have. So just passing on my imput, a "DEFINITE MUST" for any collector. The Scolopendra Heros Arizonesis. Don't forget the other 2 members of the Heros family as well (Heros Heros & Heros Castinecips) also great looking pedes!

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
I found this guy running across the kitchen floor in my parents house. I love Arizona. I've spent sereral days looking for this species, without finding anything. I guess I should stay closer to home.
That's a true find. Those arent the easiest things to come by even when you are camping out hunting them! I'ld go out on a hunt if I were you, those bad boys/girls are in need of captive propegation.....amazing pedes. Dont get tagged, they are nasty.

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How big is that 'pede? It's beautiful! I have some friends-of-friends who live out in AZ...maybe time to contact them to do some 'pede-hunting for me. :)

(By "hunting," of course, I mean finding and shipping to me...not killing.)