You Tube Video ID Needed Please

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just wondering if any one has an idea of what type of scorpion this is?

[YOUTUBE]9hlw92JMYQ8[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]QqUV28JsXSs[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks Thaedion

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To me it looks like a liocheles species, but those videos are of terrible quality, who in they're right mind would post them.{D Personally I'd be embarassed.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I thought the first one looked more like some kind of Heterometrus species . . .

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
To me it looks like a liocheles species, but those videos are of terrible quality, who in they're right mind would post them.{D Personally I'd be embarassed.
They are both vids of the same scorp, some one emailed me asking for an ID (I thought the quality of the video was poor also) he called it a 'black desert scorpion' I thought Heterometrus my self. That is why I'm throwing it out to the AB community for some help.

any more input would be a great help

Thanks Thaedion

Last edited:

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'd go with Heterometrus right off the bat...ofcourse I wouldn't go any further than that...

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Seems rather flat to be a het. plus it appears to have huge indentations in the claws, but quite the girth your average het has either.

This screen shot from the video shows how flat it is, but also that it has a somewhat thick tail. :?
The telson seems rather bolong also.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Seems rather flat to be a het. plus it appears to have huge indentations in the claws, but quite the girth your average het has either...
It may be underfed and have the appearance of thinness due to undernourishment? I emailed him back asking for some clearer pics and details of its origins, as I've never heard of the 'Black desert scorpion' (except in the Linkin Park vid, and the Mummy and Scorpion King movies, {D )

I'm still leaning towards H spinifer though.

Thaedion

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm going to go with a Nebo sp as well.

Mike
I can actually see the resemblance now especially the V metasoma segment being very long, if this is actually a characteristic of the Nebo. Thanks for all the help here, I need to look at it more and wait for more info from 'him'.

Thaedion

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I threw together some Nebo hierichonticus pics to see if anyone else can see a resemblance As noted by 'Gigas' and 'H. cyaneus/Mike'

(The original You Tube screen shot is the left most pic.)

Thaedion

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm going to root for nebo too, I thought that when I originally posted but I know little on the species and could't be quite sure if the apprioate picture was in my mind.

The oblong telson and indented claws as I mentioned match that.

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thaedion, I didn't see a difference really. I just didn't think a Heterometrus species would waste it's time to sting it. ;)

Mike

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thaedion, I didn't see a difference really. I just didn't think a Heterometrus species would waste it's time to sting it. ;)

Mike
That's a good point, I never have seen any of my Heteros sting anything... :rolleyes:

Thaedion

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought it was obvious from the chela shape in the video, thats why i went straight for Nebo hierichonticus

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just got another email and a few Q's were answered. Firstly the video was shot from a phone. It is a very aggressive scorp, he caught the scorpion "near to the Christ baptism site" he lives in "Jordan which is near to Israel" so Nebo is probably right on the nose. Now does anyone know how to tell the sex of a Nebo. I read this thread http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=90832 does any one know for sure if the call "female on top and Male on the bottom" is correct?

Thanks Thaedion

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Read Marks comment, look at the operculum.
Thank you, and thanks to ever one for all your help, I did give all credit for the information I passed on to him to the AB community and gave him the links to this and the quoted article above for further help.

Thaedion