You guys weren't kidding 😅

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
I know exactly what you mean.

Before I ever got my first T I spent over a year researching on tarantulas. I watched alot of Tom Moran on particular genus and species I was interested in on rehousing methods/best rehousing practices, AB and The Tarantula Beginners Guide.

I thought I had a good grasp on rehouse techniques.

That all went south when the real thing was happening. I look back at my first T and the first rehouse and I do chuckle often over it.

It was a 1 inch T. albopilosus. Not to mention this was my second and most important step as a former but not completely over arachnophobia, tarantulas being my biggest fear in the past.

No way I could start with OW's those were light years away for what I was willing or able to deal with.
I only want the spiders I'm interested in.
A Tom Moran tip is to put some crumpled up paper towels in the corners of the bigger bin in the hopes that it runs in to those for cover, making it theoretically easier to cup them.
That's an awesome tip! 🙇‍♂️

Sorry, my response got a little cut off. I love seeing people that were arachnophobic become the best hobbyists out there. Isnt it funny how we often gravitate towards the things we fear the most? Its like the same principle with horror movies, or climbing with a fear of heights. The more you're exposed to it, the adrenaline response lessens and lessens and then you become hooked. I was a kid when I held my 1st true spider and then I realized they were actually pretty alright. Haha

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
I've never been afraid of spiders, always fascinated by them actually.

Roaches and crickets creep me out though.

And now I have bins of roaches to feed my spiders. Guess we know what won out.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I only want the spiders I'm interested in.
I understand that but working you way up to having the experience in rehouses, husbandry and other best technics that work successfully for you will always be recommended first before moving on to OW's.

Now don't underestimate OW slings. Their venom is just as potent as an adult's venom. You could of been bit and envenomated which you were not, thankfully. There's alot of bite reports just by slings.

No one can tell you what to do. I'll just say practice best husbandry techniques and rehouses. Also be responsible as you are part of representing the hobby.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I've never been afraid of spiders, always fascinated by them actually.

Roaches and crickets creep me out though.

And now I have bins of roaches to feed my spiders. Guess we know what won out.
I once saw a giant crab spider or something like a huntsman that scared me but once I caught one I was not afraid anymore. Sadly never saw one since anywere :sad:.. back then I had no way to id it.

do you get used to the roaches? Dubia look cool 😎 to me, runners a little less so but I’ve never owned them so no comment. They do look closer to pest species.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
I understand that but working you way up to having the experience in rehouses, husbandry and other best technics that work successfully for you will always be recommended first before moving on to OW's.

Now don't underestimate OW slings. Their venom is just as potent as an adult's venom. You could of been bit and envenomated which you were not, thankfully. There's alot of bite reports just by slings.

No one can tell you what to do. I'll just say practice best husbandry techniques and rehouses. Also be responsible as you are part of representing the hobby.
I'm not glad that I ran into an issue early on. But, it was better to understand how quick they are right off the bat. I saw videos and learned a bunch from Tom. But, I don't think I could truly appreciate it until I saw it with my own eyes. And thankfully, I didn't get bit.. There is no margin for error and I plan on buying an epipen in the event of a worst case scenario. When you're dealing with such a small creature, it can be in a million different places and also survive for quite some time while at ambient temps in your home. I'll respect them as adults as well, but it may give me more peace of mind knowing that I can locate them much more easily if they do get loose. This thread has provided me with more wisdom than you could ever read in a textbook. And I'm grateful that some of the best in the hobby can take some time to give me advice. It really means the world to me

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I'm not glad that I ran into an issue early on. But, it was better to understand how quick they are right off the bat. I saw videos and learned a bunch from Tom. But, I don't think I could truly appreciate it until I saw it with my own eyes. And thankfully, I didn't get bit.. There is no margin for error and I plan on buying an epipen in the event of a worst case scenario. When you're dealing with such a small creature, it can be in a million different places and also survive for quite some time while at ambient temps in your home. I'll respect them as adults as well, but it may give me more peace of mind knowing that I can locate them much more easily if they do get loose. This thread has provided me with more wisdom than you could ever read in a textbook. And I'm grateful that some of the best in the hobby can take some time to give me advice. It really means the world to me
There is tips and tricks to help capture an escaped T whether it's OW or NW.

There's plenty of info on AB you can find by using the search feature.

Yes you ran into the problem early on but it's never over. Those are just slings wait until they are adults.

Best advice I can think of is make sure to set their enclosure up as you continue to rehouse with secure hiding spots. The more secure they feel the more it helps you.

This is why my female irminia is never defensive and is super chill. I gave her the best security in the hide I selected and it has worked great.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Their over an inch and pretty well started. I'm thinking about getting the T a 2 gallon enclosure with deep substrate, multiple hides or obstructions that will slow him down from flying up and out.
I don't even think he would do terribly in a 5 gallon. What do you guys think?
Both of these are definitely too large for a 1in sling to easily manage its behavior, feeding, and molt cycle!

Honestly many of my Harpactirinae baboons my Pterinochilus murinus is very laid back and would rather retreat to its burrow than stay out so how you set them up will make a difference!

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter

Just use a catch cup and place the enclosure inside a bigger container so if you have a bolty specimen you can trap it and transfer it. You can see a bit of my process in the rehouse I just did.
Exactly. If you use a catch cup, you can do what I did. Get an OW right out of the gate.

Last edited:

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
Both of these are definitely too large for a 1in sling to easily manage its behavior, feeding, and molt cycle!

Honestly many of my Harpactirinae baboons my Pterinochilus murinus is very laid back and would rather retreat to its burrow than stay out so how you set them up will make a difference!
Everyone has been moving along pretty well with the exception of the P Lugardi. Most if not all have moved into their starter burrows or hides. My C Lividus is at the bottom of her substrate already. My P Murinus has a crazy side, but when I gently peel back the lid, she gets less flighty.. I gave her plenty of substrate, a nice cork bark hide and she's just going out of her way to be a joy 😂I named her "Peaches" ps. I have no clue on the sex yet, it's easier to just use a gender when I refer to them. I'm going to feed them today. In the future, I think my strategy will be to distract her with a cricket when I have to do maintenance inside her enclosure

Everyone has been moving along pretty well with the exception of the P Lugardi. Most if not all have moved into their starter burrows or hides. My C Lividus is at the bottom of her substrate already. My P Murinus has a crazy side, but when I gently peel back the lid, she gets less flighty.. I gave her plenty of substrate, a nice cork bark hide and she's just going out of her way to be a joy 😂I named her "Peaches" ps. I have no clue on the sex yet, it's easier to just use a gender when I refer to them. I'm going to feed them today. In the future, I think my strategy will be to distract her with a cricket when I have to do maintenance inside her enclosure
I think I'm going to retrofit a deep bin with a plexiglass lip/shelf that comes out 2-3" around the perimeter of the container. If they scurry up the bin they'll in theory hit that wall and either stop, or slow down. The other recommendation of crinkling some paper and putting them in corners was a genius idea. So I'm going to try both of those methods.. I'm also going to stretch out a white king bed sheet over the room and place some retreats they can hide in.. I made a Tom Moran catch cup today, so that should make life much easier.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Exactly. If you use a catch cup, you can do what I did. Get an OW right out of the gate.
I started with an Ornithoctoninae so I had to learn fast and work smort. Thankfully I followed the advice given and didn't glaze over it to do my own thing.

For example: if you make it so that the only place the T can bolt to is the new enclosure, you can literally just sit there and watch the rehouse with 0 chance of it escaping.
20231008_181150.jpg
20231008_181203.jpg

Last edited: