You guys weren't kidding 😅

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
So as some of you may know, I made the mistake of moving way too quick on buying OW slings. Well, the shipment came today... Things were OK, until I got to the P Lugardi. I have never seen tarantula teleportation (in person) and I was schooled in a big way.

I had a giant plastic storage tote that I was using to move the slings from dram vial to enclosure. For most of them, I just carefully opened the vial and let them come out whenever they were ready. The P Murinus had other ideas. As soon as I cracked it a little, he flew out like a bat out of hell. He ran around the tote a bit, but he couldn't climb the sides. For some idiotic reason, I thought the P Lugardi would be more calm than the OBT. (*stupid, I know) So, instead of just letting him come out of the vial on his own, I started to move the substrate with tweezers to just coax him in to the enclosure.

However, unlike the OBT, this guy could climb the sides. In literally a nanosecond he was on the handle of the tote. He was in a stress pose and I couldn't get a good handle on him with the catch cup. So, I carefully carried the tote outside and he didn't move. I was able to coax him to crawl back in the tote and let him run around like a maniac until he calmed down a little. I had a piece of cardboard that I was sort of redirecting him with. Luck had it that he didn't try to climb the cardboard while I was holding it. I finally was able to get him into the enclosure.

This sling doesn't hide, retreat, he/she stays in the same spot ready to bolt. My other slings have taken well to their starter burrows/hides. This guy is ready.

Their over an inch and pretty well started. I'm thinking about getting the T a 2 gallon enclosure with deep substrate, multiple hides or obstructions that will slow him down from flying up and out. It may help a little. I don't even think he would do terribly in a 5 gallon. What do you guys think?
20231010_152945.jpg

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
just use a bigger bin to place that sling cup inside of anytime you must open it. that way when it gets out it has no place to run if you use that bigger cage now . it will vanish into the dirt and make it difficult or you to monitor its feeding along with just stress you out since you wont see it.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
So as some of you may know, I made the mistake of moving way too quick on buying OW slings. Well, the shipment came today... Things were OK, until I got to the P Lugardi. I have never seen tarantula teleportation (in person) and I was schooled in a big way.

I had a giant plastic storage tote that I was using to move the slings from dram vial to enclosure. For most of them, I just carefully opened the vial and let them come out whenever they were ready. The P Murinus had other ideas. As soon as I cracked it a little, he flew out like a bat out of hell. He ran around the tote a bit, but he couldn't climb the sides. For some idiotic reason, I thought the P Lugardi would be more calm than the OBT. (*stupid, I know) So, instead of just letting him come out of the vial on his own, I started to move the substrate with tweezers to just coax him in to the enclosure.

However, unlike the OBT, this guy could climb the sides. In literally a nanosecond he was on the handle of the tote. He was in a stress pose and I couldn't get a good handle on him with the catch cup. So, I carefully carried the tote outside and he didn't move. I was able to coax him to crawl back in the tote and let him run around like a maniac until he calmed down a little. I had a piece of cardboard that I was sort of redirecting him with. Luck had it that he didn't try to climb the cardboard while I was holding it. I finally was able to get him into the enclosure.

This sling doesn't hide, retreat, he/she stays in the same spot ready to bolt. My other slings have taken well to their starter burrows/hides. This guy is ready.

Their over an inch and pretty well started. I'm thinking about getting the T a 2 gallon enclosure with deep substrate, multiple hides or obstructions that will slow him down from flying up and out. It may help a little. I don't even think he would do terribly in a 5 gallon. What do you guys think?
View attachment 457927
2 gallons sounds a bit Large for a 1” sling just use the container inside another container method I guess. Insane how fast these things are!!!:rofl:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel

View attachment 457927
And just like that you gained the OW sling experience. I'm glad things worked out though.

I had a similiar experience with my T. violaceus but for some reason didn't try climbing the wall of the secondary giant container.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
my nws are the most annoying in regards to trying to escape best bet is to trust no t anytime you open that cage up

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight

View attachment 457927
IMO the size they are now and the enclosure you have is properly sized.
They aren't even ready for a 16 oz cup or something bigger.

I definitely would suggest reading up on rehousing tips. You've already been given some tips with using tubs with slings.

The two and truly 3" mark is where things become mach 20 and bites are an actual issue.
Just be calm and you will do fine.

Last edited:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
my nws are the most annoying in regards to trying to escape best bet is to trust no t anytime you open that cage up
100% agree 👍

A keeper that practices that first will be better prepared for teleporters like my T. violaceus and OW's like Pokies when they are ready to gravitate to those.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
:DIts nerve wracking tryingto catch a match head sized escaped sling with them being so fragile.gimmie a defensive stand its ground t anytime

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
:DIts nerve wracking tryingto catch a match head sized escaped sling with them being so fragile.gimmie a defensive stand its ground t anytime
Yup lol

To date it's my T. vagans that's pulled every stunt in the book. She's like a box of dynamite whenever opening the enclosure. Not worried about her venom at all but her hurting herself cause she is nuts.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter

View attachment 457927

Just use a catch cup and place the enclosure inside a bigger container so if you have a bolty specimen you can trap it and transfer it. You can see a bit of my process in the rehouse I just did.

Mike Withrow

Arachnoknight
Yup lol

To date it's my T. vagans that's pulled every stunt in the book. She's like a box of dynamite whenever opening the enclosure. Not worried about her venom at all but her hurting herself cause she is nuts.
I actually first time only had a vagen on the run for a week. All I did was turn and grab her water dish and she was totally gone.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
just use a bigger bin to place that sling cup inside of anytime you must open it. that way when it gets out it has no place to run if you use that bigger cage now . it will vanish into the dirt and make it difficult or you to monitor its feeding along with just stress you out since you wont see it.
Just like that, my problem is solved. Thanks!

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Yup lol

So interesting how behavior differs from individuals. My T. vagans has never once given me a bit of trouble. She's probably around the 4 inch mark. Now, my female A. geniculata on the other hand..... Lol!!!

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
2 gallons sounds a bit Large for a 1” sling just use the container inside another container method I guess. Insane how fast these things are!!!:rofl:
Yeah for sure. I don't think I'm using an opaque 32oz deli cup for my C Lividus anymore. It's kind of hard to see lmbo

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
So interesting how behavior differs from individuals. My T. vagans has never once given me a bit of trouble. She's probably around the 4 inch mark. Now, my female A. geniculata on the other hand..... Lol!!!
We have a total role reversal going on. My 5 inch genic is very easy to work with. I don't even break a sweat with it.

My 6 inch female T. vagans thinks she is an OW.

I got schooled by her when she was 4 inches. She pried herself upside down from under and out of the catch cup I had her in. When she got her 4 front legs out it was over.

I got a demonstration of her strength and I feared pressing down more as that would of injured her. There was no stopping her and just like that shot out like a bullet.

I didn't even see where she went. It was all good because she shot straight into the starter burrow, (after checking it with a flashlight) I made for her, talk about accuracy.

I do enjoy her very much. She molted back on 9/19/23. She's extremely bulky and a beautiful jet black. She lost the bright rusty red abdomen though on this molt. You can faintly make out some of the red but it's greatly faded.

She is stunning however and a T that often gets overlooked.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
We have a total role reversal going on. My 5 inch genic is very easy to work with. I don't even break a sweat with it.

My 6 inch female T. vagans thinks she is an OW.

I got schooled by her when she was 4 inches. She pried herself upside down from under and out of the catch cup I had her in. When she got her 4 front legs out it was over.

I got a demonstration of her strength and I feared pressing down more as that would of injured her. There was no stopping her and just like that shot out like a bullet.

I didn't even see where she went. It was all good because she shot straight into the starter burrow, (after checking it with a flashlight) I made for her, talk about accuracy.

I do enjoy her very much. She molted back on 9/19/23. She's extremely bulky and a beautiful jet black. She lost the bright rusty red abdomen though on this molt. You can faintly make out some of the red but it's greatly faded.

She is stunning however and a T that often gets overlooked.
Completely agree! They're an absolutely beautiful spider that deserves more respect!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

View attachment 457927

You are in over your head I think for now. This is when OW are SUPER EASY to deal with. Wait till your OBT and other OWs get larger and will not think twice about defending themselves against you. All Ts as they grow larger, mature in attitude, they are fully aware they are larger, and what once was a T that ran away, will defend itself/territory FIRST, not last. You may do well, but truthfully you bought too many too fast. We told you so! Good luck.

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
And just like that you gained the OW sling experience. I'm glad things worked out though.

I had a similiar experience with my T. violaceus but for some reason didn't try climbing the wall of the secondary giant container.
I couldn't get over how tenacious this guy was and the obt. I've seen videos, but it's different when its happening in real time.

You are in over your head I think for now. This is when OW are SUPER EASY to deal with. Wait till your OBT and other OWs get larger and will not think twice about defending themselves against you. All Ts as they grow larger, mature in attitude, they are fully aware they are larger, and what once was a T that ran away, will defend itself/territory FIRST, not last. You may do well, but truthfully you bought too many too fast. We told you so! Good luck.
I know Viper. The plan is to do my best and learn man. Thats all I can do. In this case, I went to college before graduating high-school. Hopefully I do better than Rodney Dangerfield.

IMO the size they are now and the enclosure you have is properly sized.
They aren't even ready for a 16 oz cup or something bigger.

I definitely would suggest reading up on rehousing tips. You've already been given some tips with using tubs with slings.

The two and truly 3" mark is where things become mach 20 and bites are an actual issue.
Just be calm and you will do fine.
Thanks Mike

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I couldn't get over how tenacious this guy was and the obt. I've seen videos, but it's different when its happening in real time.
I know exactly what you mean.

Before I ever got my first T I spent over a year researching on tarantulas. I watched alot of Tom Moran on particular genus and species I was interested in on rehousing methods/best rehousing practices, AB and The Tarantula Beginners Guide.

I thought I had a good grasp on rehouse techniques.

That all went south when the real thing was happening. I look back at my first T and the first rehouse and I do chuckle often over it.

It was a 1 inch T. albopilosus. Not to mention this was my second and most important step as a former but not completely over arachnophobia, tarantulas being my biggest fear in the past.

No way I could start with OW's those were light years away for what I was willing or able to deal with.

HappyLittleDaydream

Arachnopeon

View attachment 457927
A Tom Moran tip is to put some crumpled up paper towels in the corners of the bigger bin in the hopes that it runs in to those for cover, making it theoretically easier to cup them.