Yet in another dillema!

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Since its coming another tarantula and reptile show here in Slovenia, I am infront of the difficult decision of wich spider to get. I have three wich I have my eyes on, and these are: Psalmopeus irminia, Chromatopelma cyanopubescens and a pokie. I would like to know your personal pros and cons of each and well I never had a pokie since I have only A. versicolor, P. cambridgei, B. smithi and A. geniculata, if pokie, wich is best for first one?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have never kept either pokies or P. irminia, but I do have a C. cyaneopubescens and can speak very highly of it. You won't be disappointed with a GBB. But, if you're like me, you won't be disappointed regardless what you come home with.:)

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Those are all awesome T's and you can't go wrong wth any of em, but I have an affinity for pokies. Regalis and miranda are two of the more laid back species & I'm sure you will love them.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tell you what I know about them so far..

Chromatopelma - Skittish and very colorful throughout life. Does kick hairs if its need for space hasn't been heeded. Dry substrate with a shallow water dish (cleaned caps from milk gallons work great for spiderlings). Copious webber and doesn't hide too often (personality of spider may vary!) Greedy feeders. Premolt takes some time but is worth every wait.

P.irminia - Keep same way as you do with the P.cambridgei. Moist substrate and definately keep a full water dish (if you have a lot of small plastic vials, the snap-on caps make good water bowls for even the tiny spiderlings). Psalmopoeus have heat to their venom but effects don't last nearly as long as baboons or pokies. Fast and a good training T before an owner gets into the Tapinauchenius genus. They grow quickly, too.

P.regalis (cheapest pokie to my knowledge) and other pokies - Pretty much the same as Psalmopoeus with the moist substrate. Venom is very potent but with no perminant damage. Read the Bite Report section with Poecilotheria before you make a decision to get one. They are skittish but they won't aggressively charge you or anything. Very fast! (lost a spiderling for the night when it hid behind/inside my computer monitor. Took it apart screw by screw).

All these species are pretty, fascinating and worth the while!

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you for all of the information so far! I would like to hear as much of experiences from many as possible, so if you have them, don't hasitate to tell them. :D

How is with the hiding/showing with the pokies?

Rue

Arachnoknight
I asked almost exactly the same question the other day...:D

I'm leaning towards the P. irminia...

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
i have a female g.b.b, a female p. Irminia and lots of pokies. Now depending on just how much you have to spend on a pokie, and how many different types of them are at the show will be something to take into consideration colour and size wise. Now the behaviour/activity varies from specimen to specimen, i have a p. Miranda that will charge right at you if you disturb her. She hardly ever ventures out of her hide and doesnt make a very good display t. I wont go through them all but the one i have that makes the best display pokies are my metallica and striata, thats not to say yours will be if you buy 1, and my metallicas are all really fussy eaters and were rather pricey! For a pokie, if you have never owned 1, i would say get a regalis and see how you get accustomed before you splash out on a gooty. Now the p. Irminia, mine went into her hide when i got her and i reckon i see her once a fortnight for about 10 minutes when she needs food, water so not a very good display t, but again, thats not to say the one you buy will hide away forever. My g.b.b is always out and webbing, she hits food like lightning and is a very pretty t! They really do tick all the boxes, and im yet to hear of a specimen that was never on display. So overall, why not get a juvie regalis and a juvie g.b.b? That way you have about 99% chance of being happy with your purchases. I own lots of t's so if you think of any others you fancy, i will let you know how they are.

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think you should get a pokie sling. Theyre very interesting t's and grow super fast. You wont be dissapointed with any of your choices though, all good ones!

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
I agree with a juvie regalis and a juvie gbb they are both pretty awesome and second that the gbb will always drill food like its starving and my regalis which is about 3 inches likes to hide but the way I have her set up with the cork bark flat against the back she likes to get behind it so I can just spin the container around to see her but the gbb is always out in the open and always wants to eat not to take anything from pokies by far my favorite arboreal.I have a metallica,fasciata, and a regalis out of the three the fasciata is out the most but like I said just set them up where they are happy and you can see them. I have a irminia but its only about an inch so it hides alot but cant say about an adult but it surely wont hide as much but I'll quit rambling on you cant loose with any of them!!

jake9134

Arachnosquire
I have a 4.5" P. irminia and she is always out in the open when lights go out, and sometimes in the morning. she is a very aggressive feeder and will start to hunt once I drop the cricket in (saw her jump onto a cricket once from a piece of corkbark).
I also have a 4-5" p. striata which is always out, or at least until I disturb her. less agressive feeder than the irminia, and it takes her a while to find it but that could be due to the way the cage is set up.

My p. regalis is a bit small(~2-3in) and hides alot but is an relatively active hunter.