yellow leg creeping scorps

Mikko

Arachnopeon
Hi!
Do you know the scientific name of the scorpion?
I think everybody should allways use the scientific names of "our pets", but thats only my opinion.

Solar Dart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Opistacanthus asper.
I know this because I have been looking for one as well! Apparently (according to petbugs.com) they can be difficult to find.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Opisthacanthus in general can be hard to find. I think that people find the Ischnuridae family to be "boring", other than flat-rocks because of their large size. May I be so bold as to ask the two of you the reason for your interest in this particular species?

Also, if anyone has a lead on any Liocheles (another "boring" Isnuridae) then please give me a shout.

Cheers,
Dave

Solar Dart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dave -
For me the attraction is two-fold: the coloration and the size. I have no problem with the smaller scorpions. After all, the smaller the animal, the more I can fit into my house. lol

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
True. I have been looking into making a really large H.spinifer enclosure, (8'x2') but I really don't know if I have the room.

Cheers,
Dave

E

emp

yo pet center usa has some for sale thats why i asked i think they look and sound very interesting

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmmm. The pic at Petcenter looks nothing like the pic at Petbugs. I wonder whats up with that?

It's also kinda funny how Petbugs has caresheets for some species (Opistacanthus apser, Tanzanian Blue Leg Centipede, Liphistius sp., Macrothele sp., etc. etc...) that are virtually impossible to acquire. :?

Atrax

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I have a blue-legged centipede (assuming you mean S.morsitans). Thus, they can't be THAT hard to get.

Cheers,
Dave

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nope. I have a S. morsitans myself but that is a Blue Ring legged. (I feel kinda dumb gettin' technical with a common name;P )
Anyhow, the true Blue Leg as seen on the Petbugs caresheets is what I'm talking about.
Check it out;
http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/Scolopendra-sp3.html

See what I mean? Pretty awesome looking too, huh?
BTW, S. morsitans are awesome too.
=D

See ya.
Atrax

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey guys, sorry to dig up such an OLD thread, but has the Opistacanthus asper become a little easier to obtain these day? I'm looking to getting more into scorpions lately and this one really struck me as an interesting species. Right now all I have is a P. imperator so I would like something that is similar in temperment and venom potentcy. Should I just give up looking for one?

Last edited:

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
where do you live?
ive never seen it sold in europe, though some people have them

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry, I really should change my location. I'm in the States, Minnesota to be exact. Are there any online breeders that sell them? I checked Swifty's site, but no luck. Hmm... maybe Michael Jacobi has some?

Edit: Nope, Michael doesn't have any either. I think this is going to be a waste of time looking for one.

Last edited:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have never seen O asper on any of the dealer's lists here in the US.

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, thanks Brian. I guess I'll scratch it off the list of Scorpions that I would like to get.

FLINTC

Arachnopeon
O. Aspers

Hi, my name is Craig. I just had two O. aspers give birth simultaneously. I now have about 25 six week old little aspers. I don't think they are boring. Mine like to back up into their rock dens upside down and hang there looking out until they feel it's safe. Even the babies are fiesty, clapping their claws at a my finger (over 10 times their size). Anyhow, I saw that one of you guys were interested in obtaining some, and I have more than I need, so let me know. I also know a guy in Phoenix, where I just moved from, who has several adults for sale. I believe they were about $35 a pop. I am new to this board and not really sure how to get around or track messages, so if you have any questions about the Aspers, you can always resort to the good ole telephone 888-533-3364.

cashewman1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I as well have two yellow legged creepers, there really beautiful. And the o asper are much more active then their cousins C jonesii as far as i can see, hopefully ill have some O asper babies soon!

cashewman1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
o jeez guys, this thread was from 2 years ago, and then started a gaina year ago, and is still dead haha.

FLINTC

Arachnopeon
ooops

2 YEARS OLD HUH? Geez I need to learn how to read these apparently. Oh well, guess we could just rekindle the conversation or look for a more recent one to jump into.