yellow branded brazilian tarantula

Katy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I saw an ad in the classified section for a "yellow branded brazilian tarantula" and cage, plus cricket cage, $60 as well as for a "texas scorpion", what species could these be, and is $60 a reasonable price for the tarantula?

Thanks,
Katy

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Could be a Acanthoscurria juruenicola. I've heard the common name Brazilian Orange Banded for it. I just got a juvie female and if that is the same sp. buy it.

Katy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What kind of care do they need? Are they agressive or what? Are they not very popular? I don't think I've heard of them before.

Katy

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Simular care to an Acanthoscurria geniculata. Same huge appetite and aggressive towards anything it thinks is a meal. Slightly smaller, pretty rare.

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
L. striatus??

Originally posted by esmoot
Could be a Acanthoscurria juruenicola. I've heard the common name Brazilian Orange Banded for it. I just got a juvie female and if that is the same sp. buy it.
It could also be L. striatus. It's also known as
Orange Striped Birdeater and is a Brazilian spider.
Mine is pretty laidback. It scared me when I removed
her from her shipping container and she immediately
climbed up my chest. Luckily, I remembered her former
owner had handled her a bit. :)

Wysi

P.S. Check out e-spiderworld.com to see pictures of all the
possibilities being suggested.

Katy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, I went to see it and it's an avicularia juruensis (?spelling?) . i'm just getting the tarantula, as I already have a tank for it at home.

Thanks!
Katy

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would get it too, that is one of the rarer Avics and is worth the $60, especially with cages and all.

I don't think they go by A. juruensis anymore, I think they are now called A. aurantiaca. Post us a pic if you can when you get it.

Katy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what kind fo care does it need, anything special? Also, the owner said this one is about 3 years old, and it's body looks about 3 inches long, (it didn't have its legs spread out when I saw it) how fast do they mature? I'm not picking it up till tuesday, I'll get some pictures posted as soon as possible, but I'm very sure it is a. juruensis or a. aurantiaca, whichever name it goes by.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got one as a sling about two months ago and it has molted twice. I keep it just like I do my other Avic's. Keep them warm and fed and they do great.

Do you have any other Avic's? If not I can help you with the care of it.

Katy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it's about to molt! there is a bare patch on its abdomen and it's dark black. it started building a nest last night, and i thought it was about to molt this morning, but now i'm not too sure...This is my first avic, and i'm worried about the molt, i don't know anything about avics molting, what should i do, if anything?

AllenG

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
probably just ensure there is enough humiditity....otherwise...not sure there would be much you could do... i still await my first molt...but my bum is bare and has turned a dark shade :} and i am not very hungry...

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very strange?

A bald spot on an Avic?

The only time I saw an Avic have a bald spot is on a couple of mature males I had. I would like to see a pic, do you think it could be male?