xhexdx's picture thread

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The P. formosa has 5 in it, one regalis communal has ~10, the other had 29 when I transferred them to a larger tank.

This is the larger regalis communal:

Last edited:

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awsome communal pics, Joe!....i would love to do this one day!

Last edited:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Stunning diversipes! Obviously your entire collection is power fed honey bees! ;) {D Keep up the good photography Joe. :clap:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ha, sure they are...

Thanks for the compliments. I'm enjoying the photography aspect of it, although I'm still quite the novice.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hey Joe.

Mind if I ask were you got the fine tipped tongs from? I cant seem to find any like that in my area.

Nice pictures by the way.:clap:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks, Cody.

Which picture are you referring to for the tongs?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ah.

Ebay. Got 'em from a company in China for $2 and change per unit. Search for 'precision tweezers', you'll find a bunch of stuff on there.

If you really want, I can *probably* go back into my transactions and even get you the username of who I bought them from. They're great, btw.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the congrats. :)

I assume you're referring to the H. gigas communal (I can't remember which communal pictures I've posted :}). They have been rehoused from the 1g rubbermaid into a 10g tank. Substrate is about 2/3 high (8 inches or so) and some of them have burrowed all the way to the bottom. The largest individual I see in there is about 2" now - others are as small as .75".

I also have 2 H. incei , 2 P. regalis, and a P. formosa communal (6 communals total, including the H. gigas). While I'm sure there have been casualties on and off, I haven't actually observed any cannibalism, nor do I keep count of how many spiders are still in each tank. I have a pic of the larger regalis communal - I'll try to get it posted today or tomorrow.
Yes, the gigas. Thanks for your revert. So when you place them back into the bigger container, you move them one by one and just place them there? In this process, can you introduce similar species that were previously not in the community?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You mean introduce the same species, just different individuals?

When I transferred them, I set up the new enclosure and pretty much gently dumped them, dirt and all, into it. I didn't add or remove any animals from one tank to the next.

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You mean introduce the same species, just different individuals?
Yup. I mean, I have a communal set up of the incei. Started with 9, now down to 3. I plan to rehouse them and get some more incei from my friend but I'm worried that they would not recognize the new members of the community.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
AbraxasComplex is the go-to guy when it comes to communals. Send him a PM and see what he says, but I'm pretty sure he'll tell you that he's done it without much of an issue. The trick is giving them enough space to have their own territories at first, then overlap into each other's.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Time for another series of pics...

Grammostola sp. "Concepcion":

Haplopelma sp. "Vietnam":

MM A. minatrix:

VinceG

Arachnobaron
That's a quite big A.Minatrix MM! Nice collection and pictures! :clap:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are you sure that's a concepcion? Looks more like an RCF rosea to me...:?

Edit: I think I see the scopulae.

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Are you sure that's a concepcion? Looks more like an RCF rosea to me...:?

Edit: I think I see the scopulae.
Just now saw this, Chris. Sorry I didn't get back to you more quickly.

That spider actually belongs to Ms. X, and she posted several pictures of it in a thread on ATS where they determined it was 'Concepcion'.

I need to post some new pics...

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
T. violaceus pairing:

P. regalis communal:

P. subfusca:

H. gigas communal: