Xenethis immanis

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Back end of Xenethis...

How to tell Xenethis from Pamphobeteus?
Check the scopulae on the rear legs of Xenethis and compare. Xenethis has scopulae that wrap around the very long metatarsus.
john

Attachments

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bad hair day.....

those T's always remind me of someone who just got out of bed 'cause of their messy lookin' abdomens.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Back end of Xenethis...

Originally posted by LaRiz
How to tell Xenethis from Pamphobeteus?
Check the scopulae on the rear legs of Xenethis and compare. Xenethis has scopulae that wrap around the very long metatarsus.
john
Ahhhh, my favourite genus :) These are without doubt the holy grail of the tarantula world. Have you seen Xenesthis species 'blau'? Martin Huber also has a very strange Xenesthis species 'blonde', he may have photos on his site, I'm not sure. And one of these days, some X.monstrosa may make it to the hobby (other then Todd's).

Just to add to what you've already said John, the scopula on the metatarsi of Pamphos (2nd fav. genus)is only apical or even absent.

Steve

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
How I envy you! I've been wanting one of these for years. Do you find this species very reclusive, or are you able to admire that gorgeous carapace on a regular basis?

Joy

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
How I envy you! I've been wanting one of these for years. Do you find this species very reclusive, or are you able to admire that gorgeous carapace on a regular basis?
Joy
Hi Joy, this particular specimen does have the chance to hide out under a provided corkbark hollow, but shows no interest in doing so. Usually, she's out and about. All the other Xenethis I've had in the past were also on "display".
john

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Joy, this particular specimen does have the chance to hide out under a provided corkbark hollow, but shows no interest in doing so. Usually, she's out and about. All the other Xenethis I've had in the past were also on "display".
john
I have had the same experience with mine. I have an immature male and female and neither of them ever utilize the shelters I have provided them with. They do seem rather nervous, but they are always visible.

John

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Damn!!!! You lucky people!!! OK, I have to go and cry for myself now (we can't have overseas spiders here). :mad:

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Very, VERY nice...Hey, does your brother need a sister?! ;) :D
Peace,
Gillian

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Peace,
Gillian
HA, how about an adopted son? Will feed and breed T's for food and slings......

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
*LMFAO*!!
Hey John..looks like the family is growing..=D
Peace,
Gillian

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Steve,
I'd glady trade a whole mess of these ugly things for a couple of stumpies :D
I'll even throw in every available species of Pamphos for one Varanus keithhorni ;)
And you say we're lucky?
john

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Peace,
Gillian
Gillian, you're too funny :)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Steve,
I'd glady trade a whole mess of these ugly things for a couple of stumpies :D
I'll even throw in every available species of Pamphos for one Varanus keithhorni ;)
And you say we're lucky?
john
Oh geez, you know how many stumpies I've run across where I used to live ;) Yeah, we're in monitor heaven, herps all over the place, I guess I'm just a glutton, but who couldn't want a Xenesthis!!!

Steve