Xenesthis immanis, and aggressive species for a beginner/intermediate keeper

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been contemplating ordering a few slings, since I have several adult and juvenile Ts at this point. While browsing, I saw that Swift's Inverts has Xenesthis immanis, which are apparently extremely rare right now. I'm absolutely smitten with this species...one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. $115 would be a pretty big purchase for one sling, but I don't want to let the chance pass me by if they are so ridiculously difficult to come by.

If any of you have ever kept them, what have your experiences been like? Are they interesting to watch? How hardy are they? I read that they have a nervous temperament, but are they aggressive? Handleable? Fast/slow growers?

If I decide to get one, I'll get a freebie as well...trying to decide between P. scrofa, B. vagans and P. Murinus, though I think I'm leaning toward the OBT. Also considering getting a P. ornata or P. pederseni sling, but tell me honestly: are pokies a good idea for a fairly inexperienced keeper? I've had Ts since 2006, for for years only kept docile species. The most aggressive one I currently have is an H. lividum.

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well I've been keeping Ts for about 2.5 years now and I have a P Pederseni, P Regalis and X Intermedia, I'd say go for it if you want to, I got a pokie at about my 8th or so species, as my X Intermedia is only a sling I cant really help you out much with your questions, I've had it for 4 months and it has molt once, feeding twice a week, hopefully a second molt soon, can't wait until it gets color. My P Pederseni was about 1.5" when I got it and it was very very very fast, but if you want a pokie you'll take of it, can't hurt to get experience with fast species.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How come they are so rare? In europe they are common and an adult female costs aprox 70 euro and sling 15-20 euros.

Very easy to keep, a 50x30x30 tank for an adult and a very deep layer of peat since they like to burrow. Very easy disturbed and quick to run away with their long legs.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
How come they are so rare? In europe they are common and an adult female costs aprox 70 euro and sling 15-20 euros.

Very easy to keep, a 50x30x30 tank for an adult and a very deep layer of peat since they like to burrow. Very easy disturbed and quick to run away with their long legs.
Guess you guys have better XI breeders over there. What is the price for Lasiodora parahybana?

smuey

Arachnopeon
L. parahybana cost me €6,- (about $8,50) a sling three months ago. Adult females, well, depends. I've seen them for around €50,- ($70) at reptile shows here. I would love to get myself a few X. immanis slings too, they are very beautiful!

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well I've been keeping Ts for about 2.5 years now and I have a P Pederseni, P Regalis and X Intermedia, I'd say go for it if you want to, I got a pokie at about my 8th or so species, as my X Intermedia is only a sling I cant really help you out much with your questions, I've had it for 4 months and it has molt once, feeding twice a week, hopefully a second molt soon, can't wait until it gets color. My P Pederseni was about 1.5" when I got it and it was very very very fast, but if you want a pokie you'll take of it, can't hurt to get experience with fast species.
You're right -- now probably is as good a time as any to try my hand at Pokies! The thing I'm most afraid of is an escape, but if I do all enclosure maintenance in the bathroom that should allow me to capture an escapee more easily should the need arise. Which, hopefully, it will not.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

I don't know, but damn -- I'm jealous!!

Thanks for the info.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Guess you guys have better XI breeders over there. What is the price for Lasiodora parahybana?
Sling price is aprox 2 bucks, adult females 35-50 bucks (hobbyist and dealer price, petshops i dont know)

Last edited:

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, temptation won out and I did order the X. immanis sling...along with the P. ornata, and P. murinus (as a freebie).

This should be exciting. {D

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
If your getting a Xenethis immanis get it from Paul at petcenterusa.net <edit>. I got a couple from him last year and the are awesome!!HAHA didnt read last post skipped to the bottom got excited about the immanis!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Lor&Chris

Arachnopeon
I say get a pokie and try it out. Bathroom is a good idea to do any transfering. Good luck!

Lor

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
yeah they are so expensive in the u.s. I paid £50 for a juvenile a few months ago, had a moult the other day and is a female. I would say that for a terrestrial they move like a pokie. Havent had any evil threat postures just the raised abdomen warning. I choose not to handle my ts very often at all whatever temprament they may have, but i would be more worried about my immanis' speed than a bite from her. I dont know if they slow down somewhat as they mature, but the speed she moves at is something to behold. Pokies are ok as long as you respect their individual temprament, people often describe the metallica and the miranda as the more docile pokie, however my ones are really nervous and defensive, my miranda seriously dislikes anything going near her hide and will charge when she sees me removing her water dish so i have to be triple careful of her. I started with an adult striata as my first pokie, i went b. Smithi, c. Crawshayi, p. Striata. I have had a few close calls, the first close call was the day i bought him, i had heard from numerous people to transfer them in a bath tub, as they cant climb out. I decided to put it into practice, he came up, out, along the wall and behind a cabinet. I managed to get him after a heart pounding chase around the bathroom. I havent listened to any of their advice since. What i would do is buy an adult, put it in an enclosure large enough for it to live in indefinately, and then whats to worry about? No rehousing dangers, just be cautious during maintenance and food time and you will do fine. We own lots of them in all shapes and sizes now and they are all awesome ts, you wont be disappointed with any one you buy.

astraldisaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If your getting a Xenethis immanis get it from Paul at petcenterusa.net <edit>. I got a couple from him last year and the are awesome!!HAHA didnt read last post skipped to the bottom got excited about the immanis!!!!!!!!
Somehow I've never ordered from Paul before (seen him mentioned on these boards, but didn't know what his website was until now). I only recently started a "real" T collection, after a few years of just having a G. rosea, so maybe this partially excuses my ignorance, hehe. Nice site, though! I've got it bookmarked for the future. Of course, I'm sure I'll be happy with my Ts from Swift's...it's just my luck that I find a larger X. immanis for cheaper after I've already ordered mine. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

yeah they are so expensive in the u.s. I paid £50 for a juvenile a few months ago, had a moult the other day and is a female. I would say that for a terrestrial they move like a pokie. Havent had any evil threat postures just the raised abdomen warning. I choose not to handle my ts very often at all whatever temprament they may have, but i would be more worried about my immanis' speed than a bite from her. I dont know if they slow down somewhat as they mature, but the speed she moves at is something to behold. Pokies are ok as long as you respect their individual temprament, people often describe the metallica and the miranda as the more docile pokie, however my ones are really nervous and defensive, my miranda seriously dislikes anything going near her hide and will charge when she sees me removing her water dish so i have to be triple careful of her. I started with an adult striata as my first pokie, i went b. Smithi, c. Crawshayi, p. Striata. I have had a few close calls, the first close call was the day i bought him, i had heard from numerous people to transfer them in a bath tub, as they cant climb out. I decided to put it into practice, he came up, out, along the wall and behind a cabinet. I managed to get him after a heart pounding chase around the bathroom. I havent listened to any of their advice since. What i would do is buy an adult, put it in an enclosure large enough for it to live in indefinately, and then whats to worry about? No rehousing dangers, just be cautious during maintenance and food time and you will do fine. We own lots of them in all shapes and sizes now and they are all awesome ts, you wont be disappointed with any one you buy.
You've got a point about rehousing! Honestly, I probably would have preferred to get an adult, but space and money are both an issue for me at the moment. I should be moving to a larger apartment in August, at which point I'll be investing in a shelving unit just for spider tanks; until then, though, all I have room for are a couple of sling enclosures. Besides, I have three adult Ts, one subadult, two juveniles, and only one sling. I figured it was time I get a couple more little ones and have the joy of watching them grow. Of course, reading pokie bite reports and general tales of how scary they are has me dreading getting the little guy (and the OBT) almost as much as I'm looking forward to it! :eek: