Wth was I thinking..?

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks brett, I got one, just finished washing it out, air drying it then comes the fun part

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks brett, I got one, just finished washing it out, air drying it then comes the fun part
Throw a deli cup over it,scoot the lid UNDER it,and your set..Then sit back and watch it flip out...

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it decided to make her web behind the hideaway next to the glass..looks fun lol

Arakatac

Arachnopeon
Then please stop offering information that's not really accurate or pertinent to the topic. No offense.

To the OP - it was already asked once...how big is the OBT right now?
:clap::clap: More condescension from the premier forum bully!

"... please stop offering information that's not accurate or pertinent to the topic?" Are you serious?!?!? {D{D{D Have you had a look at your posts from other threads lately?

I really resent seeing people belittled in this forum by others who think they're somehow a step above and know everything.

Please, xhexdx, leave all this offensive kind of stuff out of your posts, especially given that your information is not always pertinent or accurate.

We're here to learn and to share, not to be scolded and derided.

Thank you. :)

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The first OBT I kept was about 2" when I got it, and I set it up in a 10 gallon. Worked fine, the spider did well in there through the rest of its life. (It eventually became a mature male and has since passed away.) There were people at the time who warned me that the cage was too big for it, that it would fall from the side and kill itself, etc. However, it did very well, and when it was still relatively small tended to live in a webbed area in one of the top corners. Whenever it got scared it would immediately dive to the floor and run for cover - and never suffered any damage from doing so.

Sometimes it's worth housing a spider in non-typical caging just to see how it behaves when it has more room available, and to gauge all the advice that gets passed around. However, all the OBTs I have today are in Kritter Keepers just as a matter of convenience. They do very well in them too.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
:clap::clap: More condescension from the premier forum bully!

"... please stop offering information that's not accurate or pertinent to the topic?" Are you serious?!?!? {D{D{D Have you had a look at your posts from other threads lately?

I really resent seeing people belittled in this forum by others who think they're somehow a step above and know everything.

Please, xhexdx, leave all this offensive kind of stuff out of your posts, especially given that your information is not always pertinent or accurate.

We're here to learn and to share, not to be scolded and derided.

Grow some thicker skin, Arakatac.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Joe keep posting, I know your fingers have been very still as of lately.:D

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joe keep posting, I know your fingers have been very still as of lately.:D

I agree...

And for all of those out there saying 10 gallon tanks are too large please keep in mind these animals are not caged in tiny enclosures in the wild. I have massive tanks. I have 40 gallon tanks for Heterothele villosella and Holothele incei colonies. I have a 3'x1.5'x2' for 2 Holothele sp. Colombia (bumblebee). A china cabinet I converted for 4 Heterothele gabonensis is 2 feet long, 1' wide, and 6' tall. I have another tank that is 4'x1.5'x2' for one Monocentropus balfouri and a 6'x1.5'x2' tank for a group of Pamphobeteus sp. Chicken Spider. All these tanks have fake backgrounds that the tarantulas can climb, no water dishes, and are fully planted.

All my tarantulas are fed regular amounts. All of them catch prey. Not once have I found a tarantula dead from falling from heights or starved/dehydrated. I have over 300 tarantulas...

Seriously folks a tarantula can hunt and care for itself in any sized enclosure as long as prey is active and is not inaccessible. The use of small enclosures is not to bring the tarantula a sense of security, but for the owner to feel like they are in control and preventing the extremely rare occurrence of injury.

Arachnos482

Arachnosquire
:? Is it always so inviting at the forums, or do you guys make a effort to alienate and annoy each other at every opportunity that you find? I was just wondering, it takes two to tango... Just let it go. :wall:

HAGAR

Arachnosquire
:? Is it always so inviting at the forums, or do you guys make a effort to alienate and annoy each other at every opportunity that you find? I was just wondering, it takes two to tango... Just let it go. :wall:
Well well, nicely said. :clap:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We put our small juvie P. murinus in a 15 gallon tank thinking it would have all this room to burrow and build cool web in, so it would have everything it wanted and more. Well, it does and that was a year ago, but it has chosen to burrow with that room. So, what we see mostly is toes down in the opening to its burrow and only with a flashlight. We seriously have seen it out and about less than 10 times in a year. There is nothing wrong with this, but considering it is such a beautifully vibrant tarantula we do wish we would have kept it in a smaller enclosure until it was a bit bigger......... it is still a cool enclosure though and we still hope that it will get over its reclusiveness.

That said, we plan on putting all of our adult Ts in 10 gallon tanks or larger, but will be thinking twice about putting smaller juvies in them from now on.:)

(Also, thicker skin is a great asset on the internet period. As this is not school and people are not required to sugar coat, or be nice and polite like you feel you would; you will encounter a variety of communication techniques. They are not all going to be like yours, or phrased as you would. This does not make them wrong and as long as they aren't belligerent , or an actual attack, they are welcome here.)

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks Bill, Thats what my OBT is doing just making her web in different areas but I'm sure once she is more mature she will move around more and stuff.. And people why all the hate? So what if some info isn't accurate. We all have our own insight on these animals and like to share what we know from our personal experience to help each other out.. Who gives a rats *** if some info isn't accurate? As once said by a fellow T lover, there are some people on here who severely need to work on people skills..

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just think it is kind of funny how what xhexdx said in the beginning was completely accurate, but yet, since he didn't put a warm fuzzy on it or a pat on the back for a good effort, everyones feathers get ruffled.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree...

And for all of those out there saying 10 gallon tanks are too large please keep in mind these animals are not caged in tiny enclosures in the wild. I have massive tanks. I have 40 gallon tanks for Heterothele villosella and Holothele incei colonies. I have a 3'x1.5'x2' for 2 Holothele sp. Colombia (bumblebee). A china cabinet I converted for 4 Heterothele gabonensis is 2 feet long, 1' wide, and 6' tall. I have another tank that is 4'x1.5'x2' for one Monocentropus balfouri and a 6'x1.5'x2' tank for a group of Pamphobeteus sp. Chicken Spider. All these tanks have fake backgrounds that the tarantulas can climb, no water dishes, and are fully planted.

All my tarantulas are fed regular amounts. All of them catch prey. Not once have I found a tarantula dead from falling from heights or starved/dehydrated. I have over 300 tarantulas...

Seriously folks a tarantula can hunt and care for itself in any sized enclosure as long as prey is active and is not inaccessible. The use of small enclosures is not to bring the tarantula a sense of security, but for the owner to feel like they are in control and preventing the extremely rare occurrence of injury.
Do you have pics of your various enclosures? I'd love to see them.

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
abraxas has a photo thread... if you run a search for his posts and you will find it..

but in regards to the OP.. if it is finding food, and healthy.. why "fix" something that isnt broken?

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
True Wilson, I was just worried about stressing the T out and wanted to try to move it. Then realized it'd be better for the T if she just stayed where she was

cityzooguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what does it matter?

As long as the cage isn't so big that the T can't find any food, and you can fit the cage in the space you want to, what difference does it make? really?
If you think its not getting water, spray a few drops at the entrance of the web, and the same goes for food, just huck a cricket/roach down there once in a while.

I think that if you wanted to, that spider (or most 2" spiders)would do just fine in a 55g tank. I would not however put a spiderling in one, there is the line. I don't really see the harm in putting a spiderling in a 2.5g or 5.5g tank, most people dont, but they figure out where the food is coming from and put their webs in the way. I think that it is easier to raise them in small containers but it is not healthier, or more comfortable. give them enough water, shelter, and food and you should be good.

I do however think that you could cause problems with too small a container, but that is pretty hard to do as well.

I guess what I am trying to say is that "size really doesn't matter" (why am I always trying to make that argument?:?) it is how you care for your tarantulas that makes the difference.
and that is the end of my non-expert opinion.:D

thanks for starting this thread, it is pretty entertaining.:clap:

P.S. I know you already made up you mind with what to do, I just couldn't resist throwing my two cents in.