Wow, what a great arboreal!

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I have a defective pokie. :p

I haven't seen my formosa sling since about 3 days after I got it. It made a web blanket over the substrate, burrowed underneath it and I haven't seen it since. Fun stuff. Beautiful substrate/web blanket I have.

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My entire P. pederseni colony (all at around 3") pretty much did that too. They didn't burrow per-say, but they made web blankets all around the bottom of the cage, then threw dirt around it. So even built web caccoons on the walls and against cork bark.. they did the same thing! Covered it with dirt. Now the colony has been devoured by a single female, she doesn't hide anymore...

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
My entire P. pederseni colony (all at around 3") pretty much did that too. They didn't burrow per-say, but they made web blankets all around the bottom of the cage, then threw dirt around it. So even built web caccoons on the walls and against cork bark.. they did the same thing! Covered it with dirt. Now the colony has been devoured by a single female, she doesn't hide anymore...
Well darn, that's a sad story. Glad she doesn't hide anymore though :p My sling is only about an inch so I figure it's just sling behavior, but man.. I keep smelling in there every couple of days to make sure it's still alive (even though I don't know what dead tarantula smells like).

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dead tarantula doesnt smell nearly as bad as dead crix.. In fact, on the two deaths my roomate and I have had, only one smelled funky. He was a MM G. rosea.. that one was a little bad. The A. metallica didn't smell at all, four days later.

DeathsPyro12

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lol got to love pokies. I'm glad my P.miranda FINALLY broke that habit a molt or so ago, "he" is now around 3 inchs, so hopefully yours will stop when bigger to. :)

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

I haven't seen my formosa sling since about 3 days after I got it. It made a web blanket over the substrate, burrowed underneath it and I haven't seen it since. Fun stuff. Beautiful substrate/web blanket I have.
One of the juvie female Psalmopoeus irminia did that with me. She moved after the isopods kept crawling around her feet. {D

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All of my Psalmos & Pokies have done this.. Thankfully they have done it right up against the side of the glass or plastic... :D

The smell of a dead tarantula is the smell of death.. The rotten stick.. My P. murinus didnt ever start smelling come to think of it.. It must have been dead for atleast 4 or 5 days...

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a wee little bitty T. cupreus. I have named it Dirtball, because, while it is a tree spider, it too has made a nice web blanket on the substrate. And there it sits, all brown and not-climby.

Slappys_g1rl06

Arachnopeon

Aw... lol, well... I'm sure the little girl/guy will get better about being out and about. I got a P. irminia s'ling a little over a month ago. For the first week he was out flinging substrate around his cage and making the coolest tube-webs!

...And that was the last I've seen of "her."

However, tonight I came home and noticed some new dirt on the leaves and a molt lying in the little bugger's moss. Maybe I'll see more of it soon? *fingers crossed* Here's to hoping we'll all see more of our cutie-pies!!!!!!! And out of curiosity, are all of your tarantulas slings/juvies?

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Aw... lol, well... I'm sure the little girl/guy will get better about being out and about. I got a P. irminia s'ling a little over a month ago. For the first week he was out flinging substrate around his cage and making the coolest tube-webs!

...And that was the last I've seen of "her."

However, tonight I came home and noticed some new dirt on the leaves and a molt lying in the little bugger's moss. Maybe I'll see more of it soon? *fingers crossed* Here's to hoping we'll all see more of our cutie-pies!!!!!!! And out of curiosity, are all of your tarantulas slings/juvies?
My P. irminia sling molted last night too. That's funny.

Yes, I have all sling and juvies.

Slappys_g1rl06

Arachnopeon
My P. irminia sling molted last night too. That's funny.

Yes, I have all sling and juvies.
Haha, sounds like they planned this! And way to go on the slings and juvies! That's how I've been collecting them! My first t is a G. pulchripes male, he was hatched out 04/08 and I bought him around Christmas time of that year. He was roughly the size of a quarter and now... he's a solid 4". Nothing beats raising them up!

TalonAWD (if I remember correctly...) has designed his enclosure creations to help tarantulas feel more secure by covering most of the tank's walls with substrate and blocking off light. Either that, or it was purely for decorative purposes but I could've sworn he had mentioned this in one of his videos... I might have to do some research on this though so just take this tentatively! Anyway, if blocking light does help them feel more secure, this might be an option to coaxing your's out if it stays shy up into adulthood. If anybody has some input on this though please share it because I don't have any experience yet to be giving definitive advice!