Wow! What a bug!!

ItsmelLes

Arachnopeon
This surprised me by walking across my kitchen last night. After the initial scream and invcation of a deity or two, i kind of think it is pretty cool. I tok a pic of it but its bad, you cannot see the legs. they and the head ar bright orange. It is 9 incheslong and has lke 42 legs. neat but what is it?

Attachments

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Hey, what i can see, i guess a Scolopendra Heros C.

nice centipede you've found!!!!

greetz

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree. S. heros castaniceps for sure. Those are actually a pretty highly desired specie in the hobby. Congrats on your awesome luck! :) I wish I could just catch a 9" pede in my kitchen....wait, maybe not. :? lol
You going to keep it as a pet? If so, I would recommend a different set up than what it's in in the pic.

Lucky!

Atrax

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, thats a lucky find. if you dont want to keep it as a pet, i'm sure you'd be able to sell it by placing an advert in the classified section on this website. If you dont already know, be careful of it, Scolopendra heros castaniceps have a nasty bite that can cause considerable pain.

Cheers,

Dan.

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thats a cool centipede i caught one of those when i was a kid
but cant find them around here anymore where do you live in texas i am, from arkansas

ItsmelLes

Arachnopeon
thanks for all your replies,

I feel lucky now, knowing I got a neat little critter like that. My oldest son wanted to keep it. He named it *cough* Sphincter. Sigh... teenagers. He is kinda languishing i think though, he is sluggish and won't eat. I'm trying to get an aquarium for him. I did get a better pic of him. To the person who asked my location I am in deep central texas, 20 miles from the actual center, in Brownwood. We have lots of cool critters here. We catch really cool toads alot and we have Leopard Geckos crawling everywhere and little green snakes that won't bite as they are too small to hurt us. they just wrap around your finger and look cool. We even found a raccoon in the car once this winter. those are nasty little buggers. Well thanks for reading all this and here is the pic.

Attachments

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Did you put anything else in it's cotainer?

Maybe a little peat for him to hide under:cool:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's probably dehydrated. He probably needs water more than anything else at this point.

Wade

ItsmelLes

Arachnopeon
well shoot

Unfortunately i am reporting that our little friend did not recover from his stress. He died right after i last posted. Maybe when i can get a real setup we will go buy one. they are cool kind of. I examined it after it died and i guess i kinda squished him in the middle a bit... he had a wound. I feel really bad after all They really are amazing looking. It was very educational though. i got to learn about something neat ;) i'm just a bit whistful though as i am sad to have caused it to die. Leslie

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, accidents happen. It's a drag but like you said you have learned something new. :)

Atrax

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
why buy one when you can catch one in your front yard
just start lifting up logs and rocks youll see one for sure
if you catch a couple i am sure some one would buy them from you
thanks chyguy