wow - psycho b. albo?

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well just had a suprise -

my curly haired is normally SO docile, I couldnt imagine even getting this T to bite if i tried.

Just got a shock - was cleaning out the tank from left overs meals when the little sucker lept from his burrow and nailed me on the finger.

Well the bite didnt really do anything - just the shock from seeing my docile T launch itself at me.

I guess he may be molting again soon? he built a pretty cool burrow the other night - he basically rearranged his tank and he seems to spend all his time in there now.

Ive never seen the little guy move so fast before - anyone have any ideas what might have caused his radical change in temprement?

cheers,

Stu.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL! I have a B. albopilosum with a permanent attitude. Every time I maintenance it's enclosure it lunges out of it's hide and slaps and strikes towards me. Pretty cute when it happens but I won't get my fingers too close. ;)

I just posted on this subject in another thread but I don't mind repeating. There are a few reasons that may cause this behavior. Many docile T's may become more defensive when approaching a molt. Also some may do this when they are hungry. (I get grouchy when I'm hungry..makes sense right?) Sometimes, they just aren't in the mood for being fussed with.

However, sounds most likely to be that she mistook your hand for prey, lunged and bit, realized you weren't a crik and let you go without jacking you up too badly. That's probably why the effects of the bite were minimal. You received a dry bite.

Atrax

edit: Despite the fact there was no major damage, please post a bite report. I feel it's important people know (for those that don't already) that these things happen even with you most trusted T's.

Last edited:

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah, im guessing he maybe approaching another moult - i dont think the little guy is hungry as he was fed yesterday. he molted a few weeks ago though - could he be due for another?

Yeah must have been a dry bite - just 2 very small holes on finger - it barely punctured the skin - he was sweet after - sorta scuttled of back to his burrow - guess he didnt like the taste of me :)

This species isnt all that venomous anyway is it?

cheers

Stu

atrax - yeah, i posted on the bite forum even though not really much to tell

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
None of the Barchypelmas are considered to have dangerously potent venom. If an individual with an allergy to the venom were bitten, it could be quite serious.

How big is he?

Atrax

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
not too big - about 2 1/2 to 3 inch leg span.

hopefully he gonna moult again soon - be nice when he gets bigger and maybe this time I can retrive the shed skin and figure out what sex he/she is:)

stu

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At that size I wouldn't say a molt is out of the question. Still may be a little ways off if he's accepting food though.

Atrax

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Stu,
Stranger things have happened; my G. rosea is an extreme well, b!tch. She nailed me about a month ago. Sank 'em good and pumped away.
Peace,
Gillian

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Gillian, what effect did the rosea bite have on you?

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by stu
Ive never seen the little guy move so fast before - anyone have any ideas what might have caused his radical change in temprement?

cheers,

Stu.
Hi Stu,

B. albos are major pigs. If you fed him yesterday and he pounced on your finger, he's probably ready for more food and thought your hand was it. I would try feeding him until he won't take anymore!

At this size, B. albos usually will go longer than a month between molts. They pack on the weight bigtime. I have some this size who will eat nearly up until their molt. Others won't. I've found it to be kind of an individual thing.

Tarantulas can get cranky when coming up on a molt, but will usually try to avoid one's hand unless they're hungry and are expecting food.

I'd say stuff his little face with as many crickets as his little heart desires!

Best wishes,

Paul

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Stu,
Were you picking up food boluses with your bare fingers? I am wondering if the T smelled food on your fingers and made a mistake. I don't know if that is a possibility but it might be a good idea to wash your hands before and after handling a T.
Karen N.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
plus sometimes (just like humans or other animals), they can be in 'grouchy' moods sometimes...

who knows. There's something to be learned here though (and if you don't already know it, learn it now :) ) -

not every docile T is going to be docile every time - AND - not every aggressive T is going to be aggressive every time..

you just can't tell.
don't think the T will NEVER try to bite..
always be open to that idea!

Good luck though :)

peace
dave

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ultimate instar- yeah - since i was picking up his food boluses with my fingers maybe he did think i was food :)

phoenix - yeah, he is a pig, he would eat all day if i let him.

dave - indeed man - guess i'll use the tweezers to take away the food boluses from now on.

ah well - the little fella seems ok today, like people said maybe he was just in some sort of grouchy mood.

plus my finger is fine now - though my girlfriend laughed at me - she still thinks im wierd for the pets i have.

cheers people,

Stu