Would you use P. murinus as a "safe" to protect valuables, given their reputation?

Woud you use a spider enclosure as a safe to protect valuables from a would-be burglar?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I'd say it'd be easier to kill the spider than try to burn through a safe...
And if the thief was smart, they'd hold the spider for ransom. Knowing some enthusiasts on here, that might be worth more than whatever was in the safe itself...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
In my experience given what I've observed of their speed, and given the strong reputation of their venom, someone not experienced with handling would likely be bit several times over, as the specimen I had I got rid of because not only was it NOT a pet hole (though I hear they usually are) The thing was downright aggressive in that striking inanimate objects that aren't moving (like the water bowel, half a banana, or anything else that happens to accidentally get dropped in there- the banana thing is from an infamous youtube video) cannot be described as "defensive". We also have to consider that outside the hobby, most people have no clue about teleporting nor the fact that they have an ability to climb the side of the enclosure- plus the fact that correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't arachnophobia the most common phobia in existence?
Evidently my mine never read the OBT handbook. She is one of the least defensive spiders I have. I've never gotten a threat pose, not even during 2 rehousings. Both my N. tripepii and L. klugi however are ridiculously defensive. They both will come straight at me, threat posture and then strike at everything within reach.

I doubt if anyone would actually reach into an enclosure to get something out of it, but something as simple as spraying it with hairspray followed by a shoe for good measure would take the spider out of the picture. Not to mention they could just take the entire enclosure and deal with the spider later.

As far as phobias go I really don't know if arachnophobia is the most common, though I'm sure it's right up there at the top but in my over 60 years I've only ever met one person that was severely arachnophobic but quite a few that were ophidiophobic to the point of not even being able to look at a picture of a snake.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
I just got both C. lividus and an OBT and so far I think the lividus would be more of an adversary!! Stands their ground and is ready to throw hands while the OBT flees to their burrow.

Really though, I think if someone is arachnophobic enough, you could put an orb weaver in there and it’d do the job.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If I found a safe I was looking for guarded by tarantulas I’d steal the spiders too...
You're back! I take it you survived the bite? :smug:

On topic
All the burglar has to do is throw the enclosure on the ground to break it, after which I would have not only lost my valuables but also have a P.murinus on the loose in my house. No thank you. :eek:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
We live in a "EWWW SQUASH IT/KILL IT WITH FIRE!" culture.

Therefore, no. I don't want people killing any of my pets, which is the most likely outcome if someone was actually burglarizing my house and wanted to get into the safe.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard of somebody doing something in the same vein. A neighbor once told me about attending a wild party at which the police showed up due to a noise complaint. The home owner's 17-foot python was on a clutch of eggs, so they hid their illicit substances under her. The police were reluctant to inspect a room housing a huge, broody snake, and left without incident.

ComputerDellLI

Arachnopeon
No, reaching into an enclosure of a defensive animal that would much rather retreat with a tool and getting something isn't all that difficult....people literally do it every day.

Now, if you had alligators or a gaboon viper or some other highly venomous snake....those would be the enclosures to hide your goodies. No one would try even if there was a gold bar visible.
It's happened before. A guy was using crocodiles to guard his stash of Meth in Amsterdam. He even had the legal permits for the crocodiles.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Granted mines still a sling, but it loves its little hole so much it makes me very happy to watch it web and work on its burrow. It comes out of its hole only at evening(It could be crepuscular but I wouldn’t know because I wake up at 10 AM) At any rate, if it was all nice and snug and comfy way down in its hole I bet someone might be able to reach in and snag those valuables.