Would sugar water work for a tarantula?

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My 18 year old rose hair wont eat and barely drinks, and gets dehydrated very easily, so much so that I have an ICU always ready.
It also appears that her fangs arent working. Now I can pick her up, and manually drop water onto her mouthparts, sometimes it goes in, but very little. Tried superworm mush, but the goop just stayed there, as in she did not eat it, and she does not seem to be grooming either. She looks like she is way overdue for a molt, but has a skinny abdomen. I have heard that sugar water works on jumping spiders, could I use that, and if so, what concentration of a mix to use? Would else could be tried?
Im not going to just give up on her, If I find her curled up and gone one morning so be it, but I do want to give her as much good time as I can, she still walks around, goes to her favorite hiding spots, but she will eventually run out of energy reserves If cant get something into her

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I don’t know but I wouldn’t do sugar water. Maybe try making “cricket soup”. But it could be her time. Best of luck

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
This is an interesting question. Sugar water alone is not enough. Spiders need macronutrients (protein, fats, carbohydrates), electrolytes, minerals, vitamins, trace elements -- really, just like humans. There's nothing magic about the protein spiders get from insect prey that makes it different from any other animal protein. You could try cricket soup, or maybe homogenized raw chicken egg would be an easy and richer source of everything the spider needs. Good luck 👍

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I would agree with @DaveM you'd be better continuing to try and give liquified protein from an invert or even as he said an egg as that's what it will need to continue to sustain life as sugar like it is for humans is only a temporary source of energy. That being said sometimes the circle of life starts to come around full circle and you have to accept the end is here and make your peace with it. Not easy but alas that is life! Sorry it has started to decline in health :sad:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Maybe I am missing something, but I don’t know what is being asked here.

What problem is sugar water being asked to be a resolution for?

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought it might give an energy boost, like I've read it has been done for jumping spiders. Dont know if it would help a tarantula though,
I will try some more superworm mush mixed with more water to thin it out, and apply the stuff to her mouth, she wont use her fangs

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Can spiders even digest starches?
Yes.

They need to do so, because they eat insects that are gut-loaded on grasses / cereals / grains, etc.
Spiders have large numbers of different enzymes specific to the task, including multiple amylases, just like us two-legged folks.

That's all not mentioning glycogen, which is sometimes called 'animal starch,' and is an important energy store for both insects and spiders (and again for us too).

Last edited: