Would it be possible to keep two female Emps in the same tank?

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I already have what I think to be one female in a 10g, and have another coming. Will I be able to just stick the new one in too, or would I have to keep them separated or re-do the whole tank so there are no territory issues? Would it help to keep them both in a new container for a week or so, then stick them both into the 10g together?

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As long as theyre around the same size, and you have two hiding spots, you should be ok. But thats not a 100% guarnantee, every scorp is different, but in general, ya you should be fine.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You should be just fine. My couple had a great spat when first introduced. I broke it up and they never fought again and stayed in the same hide together.

Usually females get along better than males since they aren't as territorial unless good and gravid.

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would say yes, there may be a bit of confrontation, but be ready to break it it. To minamise any teratorial claims, clean the tank out before u intoduce the new Scorp. So that its all fresh for both Scorps. Any Hastle will be imediate, so, so long as they dont constantly fight, n you keep them well fed, Emps live well together, however you do get the odd crazy one that turns out to be a social handgrenade. Not solution to those, you just have to seperate them. Hope all goes well 99% sure it will

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
By clean out the tank, would it be sufficient to thoroughly mix and re-arrange the substrate and hides, or would I need new substrate? I dont have much extra available. If doing this does not help, I was thinking of getting a cheap box to keep them both in for a week or two, then move them both back into the tank at the same time, so it has the same 'new tank' feeling to them.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just stir things up and re-arrange the hides and burrows and such. Should be sufficient.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just stir things up and re-arrange the hides and burrows and such. Should be sufficient.

You know I just did that today with my 3I and 4I emps and they immediately when reintroduce traveled back to the same spot and begun to burrow.

I left the water bowl in the same spot maybe that had something to do with it but I added new hides, place them somewhere opposite of the water bowl when finished rearranging and mixing the sub.

Normski2020uk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You know I just did that today with my 3I and 4I emps and they immediately when reintroduce traveled back to the same spot and begun to burrow.

I left the water bowl in the same spot maybe that had something to do with it but I added new hides, place them somewhere opposite of the water bowl when finished rearranging and mixing the sub.
Whenever i tidy my tank up they always burrow in exactly the same place. Doesnt matter how much i change things

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for the tips. I tried putting the new one in without changing anything, but the older one got really pissy, and I separated them when she started trying to sting the new one. I added some new substrate, and mixed around the old, along with adding some new hides and a new water bowl. After I put them back together, they have been fine with each other. Granted, the older, larger one tends to shove the new one out of its way at times, but overall they seem fine. Now I hope it stays this way.

BTW, I was having trouble making a hide out of a chunk of coconut I had lying around, so I stole a mug from the college cafeteria. They love it. Pics:

Attachments

craig84

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had 5 adult emps together and they all got along and they all used the same hide.