Worst Urticating Hairs In tarantulas????OUCH ...which ones HURT the most?

synyster

Arachnobaron
For 15 years, I had never had any reaction to U-hairs. Then 3 years ago it started. And last week I packed a Lasiodora parahybana one night and was still scratching my hands the next day until supper time.

I guess it can devellop throughout time.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
For 15 years, I had never had any reaction to U-hairs. Then 3 years ago it started. And last week I packed a Lasiodora parahybana one night and was still scratching my hands the next day until supper time.

I guess it can devellop throughout time.
Weird so nothing bad for 15yrs?? and a LP's hairs made you itch hmm,...
any more input.. I know the Ts with the worst hairs :) gotta make this common knowlage for new hobbyists I guess !!!!
My list was very accurate :happy: I keep on seeing threads popping up of new T owners being haired by G rosea's this would help them out

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think discussions on this topic are meaningless unless posters also mention which species they had experience with. One says a particular species is the worst yet in fact he only has experience with 3 species. Little to no reference value IMO.

fatich

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Acanthoscurria geniculata - urticating hair effect :

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Indeed!...A. geniculata is the only one that affacts me..and its not itching..it is straight up burning!!

ParabuthusKing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can indeed develop allergies to urticating hairs.. I can attest to that for sure! I used to be able to hold my tarantulas and clean enclosures without any reaction when I started in the hobby 6 years ago. Now, I have to wear latex gloves when doing anything that involves close proximity to tarantulas except for the smallest of slings ( I think their hairs are too small to really penetrate the skin) I get a rash of small blisters between fingers and on affected areas of soft skin on the hands that itches like CRAZY and lasts for about 1-2 weeks. I also know you can build resistance to allergens as I am no longer really affected by poison oak as I crawled through it like nothing all the time as a kid. Completely different than pollen, dust, or urticating hairs though .. As for which spiders have the worst hairs, I will let someone else finish collecting that data for you, but my Brachypelmas can do a number on me ;)

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Can you use tape on the affected area to remove the hairs? I understand you can still have an allergic reaction but I was wondering if it would help. Do the hairs get stuck int he skin?

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've only been haired once by a G. pulchripes, and that was just barely. I've heard that Lasiodora sp. and some Acanthoscurria (take a look at the geniculata rash above hahaha) can be pretty bad.

bshoblo

Arachnopeon
I think that it is true that continued exposure can help bring about allergies that someone is already predisposed too becoming alergic to something, however it is also true that with continual low level exposure one can potentially overcome the allergy and develope a resistance. Anyone who has ever had to get allergy shots twice a week can confirm this!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
So far I haven't been too bothered by hairs. I hold my 8" female LP, and she never ever kicks, but just holding her i get some on me. But it just itches for a few seconds. When I was pairing my B. vagans, I got one of the males hairs on my right eyelid. It bothered me for about 3 days. It fealt and looked just like a razorblade cut.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Old Timer
B. boehmei and L. parahybana have been the worst for me.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
3519AB45-74ED-4498-A13C-058B6FE7AB9E.jpeg E6C70B18-3D50-4FD0-9A84-8D81CB3D7675.jpeg
I think discussions on this topic are meaningless unless posters also mention which species they had experience with. One says a particular species is the worst yet in fact he only has experience with 3 species. Little to no reference value IMO.
Another bad outbreak of hairs worst since this post .
What gear do you wear to protect arms from the hairs ??

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My collection is mostly made up of NW species and the only genera whose hairs I currently react to (reactions can occur with repeated exposure so this list could get longer as time goes on) are Nhandu, Phormictopus, Acanthoscurria, and Lasiodora, Lasiodora are by far the worst out of those.

What gear do you wear to protect arms from the hairs ??
Some people wear long sleeves/latex gloves.

Moebius

Arachnopeon
Of the species I've been haired by directly, the worst have been:
1) Theraphosa blondi. We're talking quarter sized zit from hell sort of reaction from -one- hair. Holy mother of arachnogod can they be a whammy. That's without repeated exposure intensifying effects. I'm really glad they didn't get anywhere more sensitive. May helped veer me towards Taps, Psalmopoeus and OW in general lol.
2) Pamphobeteus (in this case sp. esmeraldas), got unlucky and inhaled a bit after it got kicked up from the substrate. Luckily (?) back of my throat and not further down. Could barely talk without hacking and drooling for 30 mins straight, with enough irritation to get a blood trace. Not a pretty sight. Surface exposure elsewhere like the hands though wasn't very notable, really depends on where in some cases.
3) Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, they intensified after a while, but it didn't take long for them to be really rank; tape isn't enough, scalding water can help, but I'm literally scraping off surface layers of skin to get rid of these, who leave dried out sorta hives. They hurt, instant "oh, I stuck my hand into a bunch of loose fibreglass" sorta sharp jabbing, quite painful.
4) Acquired from repeated exposures, Avicularia species(if I brush up against their "decorated" webs) feel like pink insulation these days, very immediate, wasn't like that way back. Have a few different Avics and Caribena, they're all by and large the same.

Hairyleglover

Arachnopeon
I once cleaned out my Nhando coloratovillosus cage & got into contact with its hairs... my hands burned for 20+ HOURS@!@!@!
aparently it kicked so many hairs in the subsrate I had a HORRIBLE reaction & the Itching lasted 20+ hours
it also kicked hairs at me before & I itched for 10+ hour's.... OUCH!!!!:eek: ..
The GOAL 0f this thread is too decide which TS.. have the WORST Urticating hairs.
Different people react to the hairs..differently so List is not correct for everyone some people are(more) Allergic to certain hairs
supposably this is the order of worst hairs; in my research
  1. Goliath pinkfoot
  2. T blondi /Stirmi
  3. Nhando coloratovillosus (Nhando Genus)
  4. Lasiodora parahyban & any other Lasiodoras
  5. Mexican fireleg & other Brachys
  6. Megaphobema robustum
  7. + add your suggestions until the list is correct Nhandos & theraphosas IMO are Worst
I was short on time making this List... there are MANY New world Ts I didnt list with bad hairs

There seems to be a correlation in the size of a T to the Pain hairs inflict.. to some degree since Brachys & Nhandos can get rather large 6-8" .. Lasidora & theraphosa are the undoubted largest discovered Ts to date
This is not a SET in stone list !!!its just my opinions + research
ADD YOUR IDEAS !!!
LP Has left me itchy for an evening after a quick and calm stroll across my arm first and last time allowing that foolishness!

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
LP Has left me itchy for an evening after a quick and calm stroll across my arm first and last time allowing that foolishness!
Lasiodra got me this time I’m still in pain and for hot flashes .
I forgot to wear my long sleeved .windbreaker so my middle arm got haired and I broke out everywhere.
My non latex gloves ripped they were $5. A pair so I had to use a latex one on left arm .

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
Iv had stirmi hairs on my hands from rehousings, it's not that bad, but it definitely wasn't a joy. My B. Albo kicked hairs in my face the other day and they were in my beard and mustache...now that sucked :D so I'd say T. Stirmi hairs in the face would be the worst to me.