Worried

Alnana

Arachnopeon
Bare with me, this is my first T. I'm a newbie and know nothing.
I got an Arizona Blondie at a local reptile expo, probably not the best place to get one, but I felt kinda of bad for all the Ts there, and I have watched T hobbiests on YouTube for years. I've tried to do research before I went through with this. He/she is blonde and tan, about 4-5 inches.
I have a locking tank, with substrate, half log, silk plant and wood, a little tray for water and a little cup with water that came with the T. I have a heater that came with it under the tank but it's warm in the house so I don't have it on.
The first day he/she hid in the log. Moved from one side to the other some time I wasn't looking. The second day I fed it a medium cricket as per the sellers instructions. It disappeared so I think it was eaten in the night. Today my T (Charlie) moved from on top of the log to the side of the tank. Then kind of slid down so he/she is sitting half way on the substrate and the other legs on the glass.
Is this normal? I checked all the things I've learned: no bald spot, no shriveled abdomen, no curling legs, nothing like that.
But he/she just isn't moving much. It's late here, midnight, I thought maybe at night he would move. Honestly I don't mind a little guy that doesn't hardly move, I mean if that's normal. Is it normal?
I know I have SO much to learn. I feel kinda dumb, although I am reading as much as I can. I just don't want my ignorance to kill the little guy. Please don't bash me, unless I deserve it. Do I?
Ps, in the time I wrote this he walked a few inches and now is against the glass (picture included.)

TLDR: reptile expo T might not have been a good idea, but I am trying. Any advice?

I'm going to bed and will check in the morning in case anyone even answers. Thanks if anyone even read this.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks fine- keep reading

also expos are the best place to get Ts from REPUTABLE breeders

Under the tank heaters that are under the tank KILL Ts!!!!!!

thedragonslapper

Arachnosquire
Reptile expos/shows are usually good places to get Ts even if they aren’t top billed as such. Many reputable vendors set up there and they always have a wide and varied selection.

Substantial

Arachnopeon
Arachnosupporter
-Expo's are great places to get T's from reputable vendors/breeders.
-Give the T some time to settle in and relax.
-IME with A. chalcodes they love to burrow. From the picture it looks like you have way to little substrate.
-Generally I set my enclosures up about half way, or a little more with substrate so they can burrow.
- Also I have found that they tend to not like tons of foliage and wood in the enclosure. Just deep substrate, a hide, and a water dish....

Last edited:

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Tarantulas don't do much in general. If you want a pet that's going to be in constant motion, tarantulas are the wrong choice.

The enclosure should be filled with enough substrate that the distance between the top of the sub and the lid of the tank is only 1.5 times the leg span of the T, otherwise it could fall and injure itself (plus it'll have room to burrow).

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Yeah I think it needs more substrate and most importantly time to settle in and adjust to it's new enclosure.

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
This will be helpful for you, please read through it extensively and you will be better equipped to keep your T: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-information-for-beginners-and-more.318718/

ALSO Viper is right, do not use heatmats on the bottom of your tank as this is a surefire way to kill them. This thread contains info/discussion on how heatmats can be used safely for tarantulas, should be useful if you ever need to make use of yours: https://arachnoboards.com/threads/the-proper-use-of-heat-mats.348429/

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Substrate to lid, no more than 1.5x the Diagonal Leg Span of the T to significantly lessen the possiblity of fall injuries.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
more substrate, keep dry. T isn fine, Expos are great places to get Ts.
T looks healthy and is just settling in

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Thank you for telling me! I've turned it off completely.
Thank you!
if you ever use a heating pad with a T, do so as such
Many animals when too hot instinctively burrow down to escape heat. If the heater is at the bottom they dig themselves to their own deaths via cooking

Attachments

Alnana

Arachnopeon
if you ever use a heating pad with a T, do so as such
Many animals when too hot instinctively burrow down to escape heat. If the heater is at the bottom they dig themselves to their own deaths via cooking
That's absolutely horrible. I'm guessing the tank sales person didn't know much about Ts then. I've thrown it away. Thanks for the info

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
That's absolutely horrible. I'm guessing the tank sales person didn't know much about Ts then. I've thrown it away. Thanks for the info
you don't have to toss. Europeans and some Americans use them as illustrated to much success. It's similar to Leopard Geckos and many herbs, you always want places they can escape the heat.