Worried?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I'm really starting to get concerned about my P. metallica - after what seems like more than 12 months he still hasn't molted, it's molted in this enclosure before so there are plenty of anchor points for webbing a molting mat. I'm really at a loss at what I'm physically able to do to help the spider, here's a picture - 106.JPG
I've noticed the abdomen must be double the size of its carapace, sometimes the abdomen hangs, as though it's too heavy to hold in the correct position, any ideas guys?
[EDIT] - I meant to say the T is about 3yrs old, male and is around 3.5".

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I'm really starting to get concerned about my P. metallica - after what seems like more than 12 months he still hasn't molted, it's molted in this enclosure before so there are plenty of anchor points for webbing a molting mat. I'm really at a loss at what I'm physically able to do to help the spider, here's a picture - View attachment 267470
I've noticed the abdomen must be double the size of its carapace, sometimes the abdomen hangs, as though it's too heavy to hold in the correct position, any ideas guys?
[EDIT] - I meant to say the T is about 3yrs old, male and is around 3.5".
Don't feed it. It is plenty plump.

Maybe bump the temps a few degrees if it's on the chilly side.

As long as the conditions are correct all you can do is wait it out.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Don't feed it. It is plenty plump.

Maybe bump the temps a few degrees if it's on the chilly side.

As long as the conditions are correct all you can do is wait it out.
I've stopped attempting to feed the spider, it did have a meal within the last few weeks, so there's no worry with regards to its ability to molt, I am perhaps being overly worried but as this is my only Poecilotheria spp. I'm very attached to him - thanks for your reply @darkness975

Walker253

Arachnobaron
At least for me and 90% of the time, a fat abdomen makes it pass the eye test of everything is normal

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
At least for me and 90% of the time, a fat abdomen makes it pass the eye test of everything is normal
Let's see if I can decipher what you are saying - a plump abdomen, 90% of the time, says to you that all's well - yes?

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Let's see if I can decipher what you are saying - a plump abdomen, 90% of the time, says to you that all's well - yes?
Yep. Every time I seem to worry, they are as they are supposed to be. They are resilient and tough creatures all while being fragile. Long fasts and premolts can be the worst to wait for. My first big hurdle was the upside down tarantula.

cold blood

Staff member
IME the ultimate molt always takes much much longer... I would expect to see a MM once he finally molts. Nothing for you to do but wait.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
IME the ultimate molt always takes much much longer
My experiences have been the same.

@mconnachan This male fasted for several months. Just molted this week, I didn't keep track of exactly how long the pre molt phase lasted simply cause I wasn't worried about it.
The molt will happen soon enough, the more you think about it the longer it will feel. Patience, your spider is fat and healthy. Only a matter of time.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
IME the ultimate molt always takes much much longer... I would expect to see a MM once he finally molts. Nothing for you to do but wait.
Well S/he finally molted 2-3 weeks ago, still not a MM, I'm so pleased that it wasn't an ultimate molt as it's a stunning specimen, I'll post pics later, far too busy ATM, moving house....

scott99

Arachnoknight
Well S/he finally molted 2-3 weeks ago, still not a MM, I'm so pleased that it wasn't an ultimate molt as it's a stunning specimen, I'll post pics later, far too busy ATM, moving house....
What temp do you keep him at?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
What temp do you keep him at?
Room temps, 65c - 72c day/night, dry substrate, with a large water dish, I've had him since he was a sling, 2nd instar, 3 years later he must be 5.5 inches, thanks for you response it's appreciated.

scott99

Arachnoknight
Room temps, 65c - 72c day/night, dry substrate, with a large water dish, I've had him since he was a sling, 2nd instar, 3 years later he must be 5.5 inches, thanks for you response it's appreciated.
That a little on the cool for a sling. Try to warm it just bit, if you can.