Words for fellow newbies!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Unfortunately that's never going to happen . That's why there's so many my rose hair is acting weird questions all the time because people won't use the search tool and won't use the search function. It would be great if they did but they're just not going to. Years ago back in the early nineties I was part of a forum that was set up for sharing video files . This was many moons before YouTube would show up and downloading was the only way to do video sharing. Anyway , I got put in charge of moderating the technical question forum and everyday without fail 15 to 20 times a day people would come in and ask the same question over and over and over , " how do I watch a video file?" . It got to the point where I started deleting the question just cuz I got so tired of seeing it asked . It amazes me that no matter how many times people would see it they would still start a new thread asking exactly the same thing. Needless to say I didn't hang out as a mod for very long.
A lot of people are plain lazy or stupid. Some people claim they aren't very good on the internet, well how the heck did you find this site??????

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It got to the point where I started deleting the question just cuz I got so tired of seeing it asked .
Maybe in a few years I'll feel the same way you guys do... but I really hope I don't. I hear complaining about naming threads and chatty threads and common question threads. They really don't bother me.

We will always have new people. Some of them want to participate in the community and it's hard to do so when you have little experience. So they post common name/chat/question threads because that's all they know. Once they learn more then they can help out with other threads. To me that is as clear a progression most people go through that really doesn't hurt anything.

If it ever got to the point where a topic bothered me I'd just go to a different thread or maybe take a break from the internet. It really isn't worth all the frustration/gnashing of teeth to belly up to a thread that annoys you.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Maybe in a few years I'll feel the same way you guys do... but I really hope I don't. I hear complaining about naming threads and chatty threads and common question threads. They really don't bother me.

We will always have new people. Some of them want to participate in the community and it's hard to do so when you have little experience. So they post common name/chat/question threads because that's all they know. Once they learn more then they can help out with other threads. To me that is as clear a progression most people go through that really doesn't hurt anything.

If it ever got to the point where a topic bothered me I'd just go to a different thread or maybe take a break from the internet. It really isn't worth all the frustration/gnashing of teeth to belly up to a thread that annoys you.
I never minded answering a question in that forum it's just when 10 threads in a row when asked exactly the same question there's no way not to start getting a little irritated about it.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I never minded answering a question in that forum it's just when 10 threads in a row when asked exactly the same question there's no way not to start getting a little irritated about it.
I can see that.

I think for a lot of people once they have been keeping for a while they forget how it is when you are starting out. You don't know what is 'normal' and what isn't. So the smallest things can make you worry. To an experienced keeper its easy to tell it's not a big deal. To a new person it is an issue. I try to keep that in mind when I see the 'My X Tarantula is Acting Weird' posts. They are just trying to understand what normal is and need some info.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well, I've been hanging around for, lessee...<checks profile, counts on fingers> 12 years now, and none of it bothers me.

And that is how I've prevented it from bothering me.

The only other thing I can add is that if you are reading this post, it was a test and you have failed. Refer to post #19 in this thread.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Well, I've been hanging around for, lessee...<checks profile, counts on fingers> 12 years now, and none of it bothers me.

The only other thing I can add is that if you are reading this post, it was a test and you have failed. Refer to post #19 in this thread.
We all know your a 'special' case Tim. :p
Also I have failed the test.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Yup. Understandable though. I'm the message board equivalent of an auto accident. It is difficult to not slow down and take a look, even though you might not really want to.

magicmed

Arachnobaron

O.O you sneaky bugger you. I failed :(