Wolf Spiders

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
I have had lots of trouble raising these in the Summer, the longest I had have lived was 2-3 weeks, I live in Michigan, so what type of wolf spider do I have over here? I need some info on how to take care of these spiders, temp, setup, tempermant, diet, ect. Please Help!!!

Thanks,

James

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Lycosidae (Wolf Spiders)

Wolf spiders are very easy to keep and maintain if cared for properly. Most species do fine at room temperature (especially forest species). You can use small tanks for enclosures, but medium-sized tupperware containers work great, since they are strong and inexpensive. Peat mixed with potting soil (kept somewhat damp) is a very good substrate as it allows for burrowing which most Lycosids do. Adding small stones, cork bark and halves of clay pots into the enclosure work great for hides and for encouraging the Lycosid to burrow. A small water dish, such as the cap of a juice bottle, is fine for water, but occasional (around once or twice a week) misting of the enclosure is needed. Food depends in the size of the Lycosid. Any Lycosid over 2" to 2.5" should be able to take down adult crickets and large mealworms easily. Smaller specimens require small to medium-sized crickets. Spiderlings will take flightless fruit flies and pinhead crickets. Hope that helped.

Alex S.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
I have had lots of trouble raising these in the Summer, the longest I had have lived was 2-3 weeks,
This might not have been your fault, wolf spiders are not as long lived like tarantulas. Many species probably live less than a year total, so you may have captured them near the end of their normal life span. Some species can live 3 years or so, but that's probably the exception rather than the rule.

I agree with Alex's care recomendations. I treat them more-or-less like small, terrestrial tarantulas.

Wade

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I live in Michigan too, and I can say that we have a few cool Lycosids here, such as Hogna helluo , and Rabidosa rabida ( both of which I've kept ) . There are also several species of Pardosa and Arctosa ( Arctosa cinereas are fun, psychotic little nasties :D ) Helluo's are large and dark, and rabidosa's are medium sized, and very nervous. They are all ( Arctosa , Rabidosa H. Helluo ) fun to keep. Just do NOT let their cages get too humid and stagnant, or they will die. give them a dry substrate, a bottlecap waterdish, room temp , and feed once or twice a week. Arctosa cinerea is particularly fun , as they are very, very nervous, and feed with aggression. I've watched my H.helluo catch flies out of the air !! My advice is find a good spider book so you can identify them , and do some spidey hunting !!

Katy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just keep the container about the same temperature as the summertime, but not too hot, low to mid 20's Celsius is good for here, I don't know what it's like where you are. I wouldn't try to handle them, as they are FAST and not friendly at all, if they get backed into a corner, they go into a pretty impressive desense mode, and bite. I just feed mine crickets and they do great. If you find itin the wild, keep it with the same or very close to bedding and hidey holes and such. If they are the type to build a tunnel or have a permanent home, they don't need a huge aquarium since they aren't inclined to wander a lot. Ones like the forest wolf spider might need more room since they actually hunt their prey, as opposed to waiting for something to walk by. They will drink from a water dish, just change it a lot and keep pebbles in the bottom to keep crickets from drowning in it.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

yup i live in michigan too, i love spring and summer, i catch wolf spiders all the time, jumping spiders and an occasional mantid, those are definetly good ways to keep em, question to anyone though: last summer i caught 2 jumping spiders(all black with blue chelicerace) they were both sharing a web? it was like a hammock built against a board, one was obviously smaller than the other, so i put them into a deli cup the larger rebuilt the web and they continued sharing it for like a week before i realeased them? whats up with that? male and female? why would the male stick around and''live'' with her in the web, what the heck?, they were cool though take nice sized crix easily, i aslo caught a 2-2.5 inch wolf spider i beleave was cool, this summer is gonna be a blast, gonna try to catch some true spiders to breed and keep in my collection , maybe a few mantids too--Jeff

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a large wolf spider from west Texas that recently dropped a load of babies. Has anyone dealt with baby wolf spiders before? I know they pretty much hang onto the mother until their first molt and then wander off in their own time... but is there any particular care advice anyone has? I've seperated off many of the babies into pill bottles already (after they took an excursion in my bathroom - kritter keeper holes are too big! :) And have been feeding them cricket mush - they're still too small for even pinhead crickets.

Rav

Phrurolith_J

Arachnopeon
Jeff,

The jumpers might have been a mating pair with a mature male and immature female. Sometimes a male will live on a web with an immature female for a while so he can mate with her immediately after she molts for the last time. She is less likely to attack him if her exoskeleton is soft.

Additionally males will sometimes spend the entire time the female is fertile living on the web with her in order to make sure that all the babies are his. If he keeps her docile, usually through food and leg stroking, she won't eat him.

Phruro-J

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Ravnos
I have a large wolf spider from west Texas that recently dropped a load of babies. Has anyone dealt with baby wolf spiders before? I know they pretty much hang onto the mother until their first molt and then wander off in their own time... but is there any particular care advice anyone has? I've seperated off many of the babies into pill bottles already (after they took an excursion in my bathroom - kritter keeper holes are too big! :) And have been feeding them cricket mush - they're still too small for even pinhead crickets.

Rav
Sound like you're doing the right stuff already. I kept a batch of Carolinas in a large pretzel jar that had silk screen ventilation holes to prevent escapes. I fed the pinheads and fruitflies (and each other) for several weeks and then I split them up. From there, it was more-or-less the same care I'd give a small tarntula.

Wade