Wolf Spider ID

Abdulkarim Elnaas

Arachnosquire
Hogna sp. Cant say much more.
Hmmm...According to Wikipedia, Hogna typically have a bottom row of eyes smaller than the middle row, not vice versa.

Actually, I found another wolf spider in a post on this forum (a Lycosa tarantula) and I think it looks pretty darn similar.

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am quite familiar with Mediterranean Lycosidae and i can tell you that is a Hogna sp., and not a "real" Lycosa sp. I say real because both genera have been a historic dumping ground for countless old lycosid species, that are not really Lycosa sensu strictu (and revision of old species that have never been revised in recent times, like the one you posted, is necessary to determine if they really belong to the genus they were described in).
The character you state (you got from Wikipedia) is actually found also in real Lycosa species (even more so in some species of this genus). The anterior row's width is smaller than the width of the two posterior median eyes (eg: Hogna: http://www.jorgenlissner.dk/images/Pictures/Hogna_radiata_hun_JL4223_3360.jpg Lycosa: http://www.jorgenlissner.dk/images/Pictures/Lycosa_praegrandis_male_JL5884_22586.JPG) and it's not a character that can be utilized to distinguish these two genera.
The habitus of your specimen, the abdominal and prosomal pattern, the shape of the prosoma and of the (relatively more flattened) cephalic region of the prosoma (more prominent and raised in Lycosa where it needs to accomodate larger PME's) and, especially, the overall eye pattern and the relatively (small) size of the PME is of a Hogna sp. I found this picture that is quite self-explanatory (Lycosa oculata the predator, Hogna radiata the prey): http://www.naturalvisions.co.uk/NV2UploadImages/Photographs/Standard/FT_376_AR_L.jpg

Your spider is a Hogna sp., but not H. radiata which is an extremely common species in the mediterranean regions of Europe. It shares more similarities with H. ferox for example, but it doubt its this species either. There are several other more recorded in N. Africa.
It is not, however, a Lycosa sp. You are free to disagree of course :)

Abdulkarim Elnaas

Arachnosquire
I know Libya is one of those places where the fauna isn't really catologued that well. I mean, especially with current events. Is there a way I could maybe help? I mean, I'm a complete layman, but like, maybe I could collect specimens or something?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I know Libya is one of those places where the fauna isn't really catologued that well. I mean, especially with current events. Is there a way I could maybe help? I mean, I'm a complete layman, but like, maybe I could collect specimens or something?
Just a thought. Friend of a friend went critter hunting in the Golan Heights post idiocy. Had swarms of kids out there hunting brass. Hired the kids to look for critters for him. Just about every day he'd have some little zorp lead him out to point out a web or burrow.