Wingless fruit fly question

ahicks51

Arachnopeon
Not exactly pets, but I have some slings to feed- and I am trying wingless fruit flies for the first time.

Not having any potato flakes on hand, I gave it a go with some sliced banana; I used a Mason jar with some popsicle sticks (it seems to give a much higher surface area than excelsior, plus they were handy), and some sliced bananas in the bottom. I added maybe 200-300 flies from a previous culture which I had purchased.

Now, maybe 8-10 days later, only a few flies are left; the balance have passed on to that great banana in the sky. The bananas have liquefied, but there is still plenty of banana above the liquid line. But no sign of larvae. They're at room temperature (probably 72-74 degrees F).

Is it still too early? I expect I should have seen some by now. Any suggestions?

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Still too early but a commercial fly mix will work much better for you in the long run.

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use my own mix. (Bakers yeasts, white vinegar, potato flakes, sugar, mashed banana, and a mold inhibitor) So for it has produced just fine - the mantids and ants are happy. D. hydei takes longer to produce, so if thats your species that could be the case. But I wouldn't feel confident using just mushed bananas though.

ahicks51

Arachnopeon
I use my own mix. (Bakers yeasts, white vinegar, potato flakes, sugar, mashed banana, and a mold inhibitor) So for it has produced just fine - the mantids and ants are happy. D. hydei takes longer to produce, so if thats your species that could be the case. But I wouldn't feel confident using just mushed bananas though.
What's the mold inhibitor? Or is it proprietary?