will you introduce your children and/or nieces and nephews to the invertebrate keeping hobby

in the title

• yes

Votes: 138 95.8%
  • no

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Good evening @Chris LXXIX I didn't see your OP.

Whilst I 100% that young minds shouldn't be pushed towards the fairytale that is religion I can only see GOOD from showing a young one that spiders are beautiful etcetera. I can't see a negative.
Arachnids are, indeed, fascinating. And there is nothing bad at all into pointing this out/defending (when possible) those. But I don't like either, as I've said, those people that 'seeks', at all costs, a sort of 'continuity' or whatever.

I always liked spiders and arachnids in general since I was a brat. And no one 'introduced me' or else. I've decided that, because, inside me, something loved those.
Started to keep, along with my bro, in early '90. Now I don't have sons, but if my bro daughter, one day, wouldn't be interested at all into those... well, even better :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
Arachnids are, indeed, fascinating. And there is nothing bad at all into pointing this out/defending (when possible) those. But I don't like either, as I've said, those people that 'seeks', at all costs, a sort of 'continuity' or whatever.

I always liked spiders and arachnids in general since I was a brat. Started to keep, along with my bro, in early '90. Now I don't have sons, but if my bro daughter, one day, wouldn't be interested at all into those... well, even better :)
You're confusing me. Why would you not be instrested in trying to repair all the damage the media has given to spiders? Humans aren't born with fear. Fear is learnt. So imagine all the humans that are scared because if parents/family/media?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You're confusing me. Why would you not be instrested in trying to repair all the damage the media has given to spiders?
Because I'm Christian C., at the end, mostly on the Internet know as 'Chris LXXIX', and not a modern Saint with kinda Biblical skills like 'too much patience' :angelic:

Humans aren't born with fear. Fear is learnt. So imagine all the humans that are scared because if parents/family/media?
My point is simple. I will try my best to help someone near me genuinely interested, and this at the best I can. To 'introduce' is something I don't like. That's all :)

basin79

ArachnoGod
Because I'm Christian C., at the end, mostly on the Internet know as 'Chris LXXIX', and not a modern Saint with kinda Biblical skills like 'too much patience' :angelic:

My point is simple. I will try my best to help someone near me genuinely interested, and this at the best I can. To 'introduce' is something I don't like. That's all :)
There's a MASSIVE difference to introducing a human to something new and preaching though Chris.

I know I don't know you but your stance on this has surprised me.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Have you never been introduced to a book/movie/TV show/music/hobby by someone else and ended up really loving it?
Happened: but those people were aware of my tastes, and we were talking about something related to that. So mostly a suggestion, not 'introducing': I was lucky enough to be in a position where I always choosed by myself what I wanted to do, watch, learn, collect, etc

Then, after, I've started, little by little, to learn from the 'pros': just like happened with arachnids, in a no Internet, Forums, whatever era :)

purplephilia

Arachnolurker
Happened: but those people were aware of my tastes, and we were talking about something related to that. So mostly a suggestion, not 'introducing': I was lucky enough to be in a position where I always choosed by myself what I wanted to do, watch, learn, collect, etc

Then, after, I've started, little by little, to learn from the 'pros': just like happened with arachnids, in a no Internet, Forums, whatever era :)
I'm wondering if we are thinking of "introducing" in different ways. To me, a friend telling me, "You should watch such-and-such TV show, it's really funny," is introducing me to that TV show. I may or may not like the show, but they've introduced me to it and won't be upset if I don't like it or something. With children, they haven't learned to be afraid of spiders yet, so if you ask them if they want to see something really neat and you show them your Ts and they end up liking Ts--that's introducing them to Ts, and there's one less person in the world misinformed about and afraid of spiders. :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Most show no interest.. but I've found one or two that were. And that more than made up for it. Cool to teach people in person.

cold blood

Staff member
Its ironic...I have a nephew (7) who is super interested in arachnids...when i am not around.....has shirts showing them, wants to talk about them....but I show up and he doesn't even want to see a picture...he saw my t room and didn't say enough for me to tell if he was interested or not. When I am around all he wants me to do is play sports with him....most of my family isn't very athletic, so maybe its just that I am the lone option there....but I am always surprised at the lack of interest he shows in ts when I am around.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Its ironic...I have a nephew (7) who is super interested in arachnids...when i am not around.....has shirts showing them, wants to talk about them....but I show up and he doesn't even want to see a picture...he saw my t room and didn't say enough for me to tell if he was interested or not. When I am around all he wants me to do is play sports with him....most of my family isn't very athletic, so maybe its just that I am the lone option there....but I am always surprised at the lack of interest he shows in ts when I am around.
Perhaps hes shy?

basin79

ArachnoGod
I wonder if he feels it's "his" thing and being "old" you make it "uncool".

And yes loads of "" but it is what it is.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I wonder if he feels it's "his" thing and being "old" you make it "uncool".

And yes loads of "" but it is what it is.
I like that theory.
Or he might be intimidated by your knowledge and experience.

Or maybe it is more fun to play sports with Uncle cold blood than to talk about Ts.

cold blood

Staff member
I like that theory.

Or maybe it is more fun to play sports with Uncle cold blood than to talk about Ts.
I figure one day things will change...but I don't press the issue.

Its possible his quietness in the t room was more than he could take in...wouldn't be the first time...I hear that sometimes from beginners that own ts who walk into the room.....I hadn't considered that with him...but its certainly feasible.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I like that theory.

That's what I thought. I know I liked to get good at something before doing the same thing with uncles. Whether it be sports, video games, whatever.

Didn't like seeming like a noob.

DanBsTs

Dan (Not Even Cool) the Man
No kids yet. But I do have a niece and a few nephews and they really aren't very interested. They have their faces in their tablets or what have you 24/7.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
i was talking with someone on a different thread about how they gave there nephew stick insects and i replied with "are you planning on introducing him to the arachnid and/or the carnivorous invertebrate hobby?
I don't want to have children, just nieces and nephews.

I am happy to teach them (or really anyone who asks) about spiders.

None of my nieces seems interested in keeping invertebrates (though I have converted one away from fearing spiders). However, even if they did, I'd have to wait until they grew up and moved out, because I know their parents don't want tarantulas in the house. (It's inconsiderate to give a child a pet as a gift without consulting the parents first.