Will this box be safe to keep a spider in?

cosmosis

Arachnopeon
Hello, I’m very new to the hobby and have recently taken an interest in house and garden spiders. One had been in here a few days and ventured out of the corner he (?) had been in and he’s (?) very cute so I thought I would keep him (?) long term.

Right now he’s in another box but it isn’t really suitable for him, or for me either (it’s not entirely see through and I would like to watch him) I already have a small acrylic box that I thought had good potential as a vivarium, but I had been storing some scented candles in it for years and I’m worried about the residue being harmful. I washed it out with some hot water but it still has the scent so I’m not 100% sure that I should put the spider in there.

herpetogeorgie

Arachnopeon
I honestly wouldn't risk it. There's loads of acrylic tanks you can find at the tupperware section of a shop. I use those for things I'm growing on sometimes

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Welcome A board...
Sugest finding a Clean , Odor Free Enclosure , Deli Cups from any Grocery Store work fine and come in all sizes.

Glorfindel

Arachnoknight
Have You been able to I.D. these Spiders?
Recommend Research, Research, and Research.
Have Fun, and Best Wishes to the Spiders & You.

cosmosis

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies guys, I’ve decided against using the box and have ordered a new one for him. Any suggestions on what to put in there? He never made a web either in the corner he was in or in this box, which is why I don’t think he’s female even though he doesn’t look to me like he has the male pedipalps - but I’m not sure what species he is so maybe that’s not to do with the sex at all? My knowledge is limited.

Here is a picture of him, if anyone could tell me what he is? (Sorry if this is off topic, if it needs posted as a separate thread let me know)
IMG_1260.jpeg
The markings he has remind me of giant house spiders but he is very small - about the size of my thumbnail.

Also, I noticed he’s missing a leg. Do you think he was born like that or will it grow back? Is he likely to be in any distress from it?

cosmosis

Arachnopeon
Have You been able to I.D. these Spiders?
Recommend Research, Research, and Research.
Have Fun, and Best Wishes to the Spiders & You.
Not this one no, it’s the first I’ve really taken note of (but I think I’ve seen them in my house before for sure)

Though, I have a lot of zygiella x-notata around outside and I think they’re my favourites - there’s something very charming about them. Wasn’t easy to figure out what they were at first since a lot of spiders here look really similar, but the location (all over my windows lol) and their webs definitely helped!