Will I regret rehoming my T. Stirmi

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
I am switching career paths and will have to relocate in July for 2 years of training, and then again to secure a job, thus I am thinning out all my stuff, I'm down to 8 Ts now.

I am torn. The obvious answer seems like the first of the last to go should be my Stirmi, not for any other particular reason than that it was given to me; it wasn't a species I actively sought out. But I have really grown to like its attitude and peculiar appearance.

But, I am also thinking that I would like to cut out any Ts I have which originate from the same locality. I don't have a number of Ts Id like to get down to yet, and none of the T's I have remaining--save my versicolor and Irminia--have reached adult size yet. So they are all at a pretty manageable size.

I guess in addition to the vote on if my stirmi walks the plank, I just want to hear the experiences of people who have had to move around with their Ts, give some up because of work, ect..

If I could only keep one it'd definitely be my LP. I love that lady. Next would probably be my Purple.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I just want to say kudos and sorry. You're making a difficult yet responsible decision to improve yourself and that takes courage. That said, I just want to make sure there is no room that you interpret any of this as guilt tripping or lending preferences to any specimens...

The T stirmi is the most demanding of your lot in terms of maintenance. It will take up a little more space than the LP when it reaches an adult size. Are you going to have room for both?

The ideal situation for these guys is to end up in a qualified/successful breeding home. Otherwise we just keep them to keep them, right? There's nothing lackluster about raising them to adulthood and getting them an opportunity to procreate, that's basically the best part about having to say goodbye one way or another (at least for the males). No one would fault you for finding them partners "early."

If any of the arboreals especially are males, you may not get that much time with them anyway.

Would finding a long term babysitter for your females be an option, or do you not anticipate staying in the hobby?

FatBadBay

Arachnopeon
About 8 years ago I was going through a divorce and had to rehome all of my Ts(over 40 of them) because I didn't know where I would be living after we sold the house. Luckily I had a local friend who I gave them all to and when it came down to handing them all over, I felt extremely bad and couldn't part with one of them, my b. Klaasi. Before I left the house for good, I glanced over at the empty cages and noticed I had forgotten another one, my g. Pulchra so he came along too. My boss let me live in his basement until I settled on a house and I kept my gecko and Ts at work.

Once my life was stable, I began to regret giving them all away but I knew it was for the best and in the end, I started to rebuild my collection with just my favorites. So my advice and experience is, yes it does suck having to get rid of your Ts but in the end I knew they went to a good home and once life is stable for you, you can purchase another and give them the time and care that they need.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
just force:rofl: one of the oldtimers to become god parent for some of your ts. then you at least know they will be properly cared for

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the advice, those who shared/will share some. Yes I will be staying in the hobby; I am just moving, not going to war. I'm just trying to simplify my crazy life during this transitional period and have unfortunately considered rehoming more of my T's than I already have. I have friends who do good in the hobby who would be more than willing to take more T's off my hands.

Probably just going to keep the 8 I have and make it work. The ones I have left I bare some emotional attachment to, I admit.

.@fcat dont forget about my Phormictopus, they get big too! Yes I will have room, And I have bigger enclosures ready to go. That is the goal after all. I am working 2 jobs and picking up side gigs right now just so i can afford to live alone while in the program for the next two years. I'll get a loan if I run out of money. Done with roommates (unless they have 8 legs, of course).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I am switching career paths and will have to relocate in July for 2 years of training, and then again to secure a job, thus I am thinning out all my stuff, I'm down to 8 Ts now.

I am torn. The obvious answer seems like the first of the last to go should be my Stirmi, not for any other particular reason than that it was given to me; it wasn't a species I actively sought out. But I have really grown to like its attitude and peculiar appearance.

But, I am also thinking that I would like to cut out any Ts I have which originate from the same locality. I don't have a number of Ts Id like to get down to yet, and none of the T's I have remaining--save my versicolor and Irminia--have reached adult size yet. So they are all at a pretty manageable size.

I guess in addition to the vote on if my stirmi walks the plank, I just want to hear the experiences of people who have had to move around with their Ts, give some up because of work, ect..

If I could only keep one it'd definitely be my LP. I love that lady. Next would probably be my Purple.

Thanks.
I spend less than a hour every 2 weeks on maintenance. And have enough empty cages for nearly twice as many as I have . The roach colony’s take more maintenance than my Ts and I’m probably moving my second one to the basement because another escaped roach . I’ve downsized not be choice but the job market here for non labor intensive stuff looking like a greater then the Great Depression. I don’t know if one t is much extra work or not . Are you spending a lot of time on it ? My old Phampho is smaller but not care much work. Not sure how many years left it has.

Last edited:

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
I spend less than a hour every 2 weeks on maintenance. And have enough empty cages for nearly twice as many as I have .
My ability to care for my spiders is not my concern. I am concerned about repeatedly moving between residences over the next few years as I train and settle into a career in Aviation Mechanics. I understand the work opportunities in that industry could take me anywhere in the world after I get certified. More spiders equals greater chance of complications during a move, less ability to conceal them in non-pet friendly apartments/rentals, etc.. I just moved all my Ts out of my place to my parents who live only 30 minutes away and that was pretty freakin stressful. Not to mention my unhappy mother and her problem with letting 8 big spiders crash at her place until I can move in a month.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My ability to care for my spiders is not my concern. I am concerned about repeatedly moving between residences over the next few years as I train and settle into a career in Aviation Mechanics. I understand the work opportunities in that industry could take me anywhere in the world after I get certified. More spiders equals greater chance of complications during a move, less ability to conceal them in non-pet friendly apartments/rentals, etc.. I just moved all my Ts out of my place to my parents who live only 30 minutes away and that was pretty freakin stressful. Not to mention my unhappy mother and her problem with letting 8 big spiders crash at her place until I can move in a month.
Ahh I see for me 8 Ts is nothing. I had significantly more then now , but if your moving around a lot they definitely are a hassle as are any pets . but seems care isn’t your issue .
And moving to a foreign nation practically impossible to brings thanks to smugglers ruining easy travel for these pets . And despite having no ability to survive anywhere but the tropics some exotics are banned in many non tropical places. Most non-pet friendly apartments/rentals are based on ignorance they don’t understand these pets can’t infest or even survive being loose and cause no property damage like dogs or cats .
But ignorance is said to be bliss many of these fatcat landlords don’t know anything about animals . Besides people with untrained dogs destroying property. And maybe fish tanks spilling .
Sorry for your Situation it’s almost as bad as no jobs being here . As hard as finding a good job is lots of people probably had to sacrifice for their job. :sad:

Last edited:

LilithArachne

Arachnopeon
I travelled a bit, my tarantula was fine during it. It is best to try to make the car ride or whatever as smooth as possible for them.
I wouldn't rehouse unless you really think you cannot keep/care (or afford) your T. I am really sorry you are going through this though.. this isn't an easy decision to make.

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
Thanks again everyone for the responses. I've decided I am just going to keep my eight and try really hard not to get anymore inverts in the coming years. I miss having more than just 8. And I really want to see my Stirmi make it to adulthood. I already have a large enclosure for her that I saved from back in my snake days.

LilithArachne

Arachnopeon
Thanks again everyone for the responses. I've decided I am just going to keep my eight and try really hard not to get anymore inverts in the coming years. I miss having more than just 8. And I really want to see my Stirmi make it to adulthood. I already have a large enclosure for her that I saved from back in my snake days.
I wish you the best of luck and safe travels
(I wish there was a hug or heart emote to give.)

Glorfindel

Arachnosquire
T. Stirmi might regret being Rehomed,
Have to Retrain a New Keeper.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
T. Stirmi might regret being Rehomed,
Have to Retrain a New Keeper.
think op said he’s keeping it.
Hopefully a smarter keeper then these petshop type folks near me the store owner said a customer is feeding his rats 🐀..🧐 I was like what ???

CutThroat Kid

Arachnoknight
think op said he’s keeping it.
Hopefully a smarter keeper then these petshop type folks near me the store owner said a customer is feeding his rats 🐀..🧐 I was like what ???
I'll admit, my Stirmi is NOT in a good enclosure right now. It's temporarily in one of those trash rubber banded acrylic ones that leak out literally all of the water you put in it and the sub dries out too fast. I have a large aquarium ready to go which would suit the girl, maybe even into adulthood. I'm just not sure if I want to rehouse her just yet, while I'm crashing at my parents for two months until I move again. I could wait until I move again to put her in the big enclosure--I want to do her final enclosure right with a proper drainage layer and decorations, but I'm just not sure how well that all would survive the drive. At least in this crappy enclosure I have her in now, she can travel in there because I have it set up really simply. I fear she's had to endure some dry spells as I have only been able to get to my T's once or twice a week when I can actually get over to my moms house, but today is my last day working in the office and I will be there full time after today. (i've been staying at my boyfriends house mostly while finishing up my last two month at this job because he lives way closer to my work). So after this weekend I have a lot of rehousing plans. I'm also going to be building custom enclosures with some glass and silicone and other materials I picked up months ago.

For context, this tarantula was given to me by an incompetent keeper after he killed his other two slings. I've only had her through one molt at which point I put her into this box as a temporary holder. I have kept a large shallow water dish always full always clean in there, and I had a plastic tray under the enclosure to catch the water that inevitably drains out when I overflow the dish, pour water on her moss, etc..

Last edited:

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
I recently had to make some heavy hearted decisions.

My collection was well over 60. I was offered a job that financially obliterated where I was at. Unfortunately, it was 1k miles away. As others have done, I broke it down to rarities and future breeding plans. I brought 8 Pokies, a tiny tailless whip scorpion, my dubia colony and decided to keep my 2 T. blondis.
The Blondis had been on my bucket list for years and were only a year old. But still, time for rehousing.

As I finally got here after 3 days of family driving, everyone made it. Once settled in, I found that used Exos were cheap here and since I had liquidated, I had room. So, they were moved into their 36" planted mansions.

For me it was difficult all around as I buy slings and grow them up. Once you have that time invested, separation is very difficult. Luckily I had a friend that owns a well known shop and is an avid breeder. She took everything and we were both happy.

I know nothing I have said was probably helpful, but just my experience. I hope all went well for you!

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I recently had to make some heavy hearted decisions.

My collection was well over 60. I was offered a job that financially obliterated where I was at. Unfortunately, it was 1k miles away. As others have done, I broke it down to rarities and future breeding plans. I brought 8 Pokies, a tiny tailless whip scorpion, my dubia colony and decided to keep my 2 T. blondis.
The Blondis had been on my bucket list for years and were only a year old. But still, time for rehousing.

As I finally got here after 3 days of family driving, everyone made it. Once settled in, I found that used Exos were cheap here and since I had liquidated, I had room. So, they were moved into their 36" planted mansions.

For me it was difficult all around as I buy slings and grow them up. Once you have that time invested, separation is very difficult. Luckily I had a friend that owns a well known shop and is an avid breeder. She took everything and we were both happy.

I know nothing I have said was probably helpful, but just my experience. I hope all went well for you!
Maybe you got a good deal knowing the shop owner but the unfair part of the pet trade is shops can buy stuff significantly cheaper and hobbyists are forced to pay retail. Sorry about your dismantling collection mine fell apart from lack of money. It’s going to cost multiple times old prices to rebuy former T species again. Some cost 10x more