Will 2nd instar Mesobuthus martensii accept lateralis?

simon780

Arachnopeon
One of my female Mesobuthus martensii just gave birth a few days ago, and now the scorplings are already off their mom's back, I gave them a few small crickets(not pinheads), and they accepted them maybe with theirs' mom help.

I want to raise a few of them separately, I have many newly hatchly lateralis, but they seem to be about the size of the scorpling, do you think they will accept it or pinheads are really necessary?

Andre2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It simply is not possible that the 2nd instars are eating already a few days after birth.. So probably she has the young already a week longer than you think....

With "fresh" second instars (which can sometimes be more shy towards a live foodinsect), I always give a mix of live pinheads and larger, cut up crickets. For me this works well.. The live pinheads get the scorplings "excited" and if they have problems, at this point in their existance, to catch the foodinsects most of the time they will take the dead bits. This method does not work well in a humid container, because of the high risk of mites and fungus..

Also they will take the left-overs from their mothers meal. Sometimes she even holds a dismembered cricket in front of the young and lets them eat.

simon780

Arachnopeon
well I think they are about one week are a few days old, I can't remember exactly.

I tossed one baby lateralis for one of the seperated scorpling, and it accepted the lateralis, though it ate only half of the baby lateralis, I had to remove it :clap:

simon780

Arachnopeon
I did not breed them deliberately, I am just a lucky guy haha.

I kept 3 scorplings about half a year ago, but they were all dead due to improper care, I hope they will grow up fine this time!!