Wild Turkeys

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The zoo I work at has a decent wild turkey population. While heading to my car today I saw 5 of the largest toms I have ever seen chasing a lone hen. She wanted nothing ot do with them. It was kinda funny watching them run after her trying to look all buff.

Yuki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hahahaha they all want her.. thats sooo great.. makes me think of one of my friends she always has guys after her and she dosen't care for them at all.{D shes going to kill me if I call her a turkey tho.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Male wild turkeys look so heavy, are they able to fly?
They are actually very strong flyers. They can take off very quickly if startled. At dusk they fly about 60 feet into the trees to roost for the night.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't think I've ever seen a fully plumed male wild turkey before... always saw hens around "huntin' season". Thanks for showing the pics! That hen must be saying... "I will never go out without some of my girlfriends again... geeeez!!" :rolleyes:

{D

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Really nice pics, man. Were you close enough to hear them drumming? Are all the turkeys at your zoo Easterns or are there any of the other sub-species?

Male wild turkeys look so heavy, are they able to fly?
I've never gotten more than one shot at a turkey. They're fast enough that they can get far enough away before I can rack another round into the chamber of my shotgun. Pretty freakin' fast.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Really nice pics, man. Were you close enough to hear them drumming? Are all the turkeys at your zoo Easterns or are there any of the other sub-species?

I've never gotten more than one shot at a turkey. They're fast enough that they can get far enough away before I can rack another round into the chamber of my shotgun. Pretty freakin' fast.
They're all easterns. I could hear them drumming. They are so used ot us there I was no more than ten feet away while snapping those pictures. When we feed some of the hoofstock, they will follow us closely until we put the food down.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
And as dumb as they look trying to fly or land. They're actually pretty smart.

-Sean

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I live here in New Hampshire ans wild turkey are very common. I find your pics very beautiful. I have never seen more than one male in a gathering at a time. I almost always see 1 male and 10 - 12 females.

Tom

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

-Sean
Heck ya they are smart!!!! They out smarted me this spring, :rolleyes: should have had a nice Tom but was not ready and he came in "silent" by the time i grabbed my shotgun he was out of there... Next year i'll but one though... they have to be the funnest of all PA game to hunt though!
Nice photos,

~Samuel

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're all easterns. I could hear them drumming. They are so used ot us there I was no more than ten feet away while snapping those pictures. When we feed some of the hoofstock, they will follow us closely until we put the food down.
That's really cool. Wish I could get that close to them sometimes. Their drumming is awesome to hear.

Once again, nice pics.

-Sean
I don't know about smart (really small brain and all.....) but they're sure sneaky, like Samuel said. They're so scared of just about everything it makes 'em difficult to hunt. I think next season I'll hunt with a nice long-range lens instead of my 870. No need to get 'em in so close and clean-up is much easier. {D

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know about smart (really small brain and all.....) but they're sure sneaky, like Samuel said. They're so scared of just about everything it makes 'em difficult to hunt. I think next season I'll hunt with a nice long-range lens instead of my 870. No need to get 'em in so close and clean-up is much easier. {D

Aww that takes all the sport out of it. Sure i could shoot one with my deer rifle (rem. 700 .308 mag) But its just not the same. My 870 is what i'm going to take one with or nothing!
~Samuel

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are actually very strong flyers. They can take off very quickly if startled. At dusk they fly about 60 feet into the trees to roost for the night.
Is there anyway you could get a video of that?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aww that takes all the sport out of it. Sure i could shoot one with my deer rifle (rem. 700 .308 mag) But its just not the same. My 870 is what i'm going to take one with or nothing!
~Samuel
{D No, man. I meant a camera lens. I'm tired of shooting them, having to carry them a mile or more out of the woods, and then having to pluck and clean them. {D

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is there anyway you could get a video of that?
I'll see what I can do. I am very rarely at the zoo that late. I do know all the roosting spots so I will try and get some footage.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I don't know about smart (really small brain and all.....) but they're sure sneaky, like Samuel said.
That's what I meant. The reason its so fun to hunt turkeys is because of their 'intelligence'.

-Sean

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
{D No, man. I meant a camera lens. I'm tired of shooting them, having to carry them a mile or more out of the woods, and then having to pluck and clean them. {D
LOLOLOL thats too funny!{D
There is a good shotgun called a Remington 870 (i have one) and i thought you were talking about that.{D
Yea where we hunt its like a 2 hour walk out! Not very much fun.
~Samuel