Wild tarantulas near Oklahoma City

Profkrakatoa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lawton aint bad - it's an Army town. Meth is unfortunately a problem all over Oklahoma, but it's not like the streets are filled with chickenheads.

The Wichita Mountains on the other hand, are flat out awesome. Best kept secret in the US if you ask me. Only other place I've been where you'll see as much wildlife so easily in the lower 48 is Yellowstone - and it's great biking

If anyone ever heads to Lawton, drop me a PM
I did my thesis field work in the Lawton area and camped at the Wichita Wildlife refuge. LOVED it. And when I'd be leaving the refuge at dawn to head to my field area there would be scads of tarantulas crossing the road. Of course, this was in a protected area, AND before I got into the hobby.

mafiamike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm in the OKC area too. I was thinking about going hunting for some A. hentzis this weekend. My buddy's dad (who is not into T's) caught a mature male A. hentzi that seems to have molted fairly recently last weekend and gave it to my buddy. Maybe I can find a mature female! I've heard that they have been found at Lake Thunderbird State Park. I live in Norman. I had one living in my backyard when I was a kid.

Sooner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Did you ever find wild tarantulas around the OKC/Norman area? Although I am a PhD student in microbiology, the entomologist I'm dating may be interested :D .