Wild collecting or captive breeding?

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
I have heard that it is not as good to collect scorpions from the wild than it is to captive breed them because the scorpions supposedly contain natural parasites that can be harmful if they undergo extreme stress. However, I have seen or heard many stories of simply wild collecting scorpions. Which is better, and, if the speciman is wild collected, what kind of stress must it undergo for the parasites to be harmful? I would appreciate any help. Thanks. :)

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I feel that captive breeding is by far the better way to go. besides the issue of WC health, is the more important issue of sustainability. Most South American countries are closisng the border when it comes to WC exports. The trend is becomeing more widespread with time. At some point the only exotic scorpions we'll be able to get are the species being bred in captivity. Tale the two new species of tityus, silvestris and bastosi,that came into the US last year. If we fail to breed them now what is the guarantee that they'll be imported again at any point. I do purchase wild caughts, with the intention of breading them in captivity. If CB scorpions are available I buy those.

Most US species are wild caught. So if you purchse those try and breed them. Not nearly enough effort is being put into breeding our own species.

John

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
parasites can be harmfull, I don't see why that would be stressrelated....Parasites will always "do their thing" regardsless of the physical state of an animal. The weaker an animal, the quicker it succombs to parasites. For the rest: what John said! :D

llamastick

Arachnoknight
Captive-bred will almost always be healthier, plus you'll know its exact age, which can be hard if not impossible to determine for WC.

The exceptions would be species that have very high molting failure rates in captivity, like hadrurus etc.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Thanks, everyone! I thought it was better to have the speciman captive born, but wasn't completely sure. Wanted to make sure I didn't have inaccurate information.:)

tikbalang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
at certain point.. CB will have the need to introduce WC specimens for breeding, in-line breeding at some point is not good. or is it?

but one thing is sure, supporting CB will ensure that the spicies will not react extinction.

peace.

Alireza

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think the main reason that we shouldn't buy WC animals is to decrease the risk of putting them into a endangered situation.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think the main reason that we shouldn't buy WC animals is to decrease the risk of putting them into a endangered situation.
Agreed. Although I try to buy as much captive bread as I can, I sometimes buy WC. When "new species" come into the hobby, I cannot avoid this, but I always buy a certain number, so I am sure to have both sexes, so I can breed them.