Wild caught vs captive bred.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Raping of the population is what occurs quite often though everyone makes an excuse for themselves to get what they want.

I can't even find an Aphonopelma bicoloratum for sale in the USA (which lives wild in the USA) yet it sells for £30.00 in the UK (for example). And I have to admit that I would buy it WC (assuming I know it isn't illegal) since nobody seems to have it in stock. But in that case I would at least make effort to team up with someone for breeding to help reduce more WC T's from being taken.
A very nice species to have in a collection. I also agree with what viper 69 says about captive breeding of native species for export. If this relieved the pressure off of native stock then this has to be a good thing. Maybe even more so with highly sought after species such as A bicoloratum? I would love to observe this species in its natural environment.

awiec

Arachnoprince
A very nice species to have in a collection. I also agree with what viper 69 says about captive breeding of native species for export. If this relieved the pressure off of native stock then this has to be a good thing. Maybe even more so with highly sought after species such as A bicoloratum? I would love to observe this species in its natural environment.
Tarantulas are one of the few animals where the young could be reared in captivity and released back but quite a few of those habitats are not there or going to be there. prime example is what's happening to the pokies, Indian citizens are allowed to kill the spiders on sight and log their habitats but the spiders cannot be moved or exported out. Captive breeding is all some species have but we may not even have all the variation that exist in the species due to most captive bred animals being related to each other. While I prefer captive bred, a wc animal are just as good and can help preserve a species.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Tarantulas are one of the few animals where the young could be reared in captivity and released back but quite a few of those habitats are not there or going to be there. prime example is what's happening to the pokies, Indian citizens are allowed to kill the spiders on sight and log their habitats but the spiders cannot be moved or exported out. Captive breeding is all some species have but we may not even have all the variation that exist in the species due to most captive bred animals being related to each other. While I prefer captive bred, a wc animal are just as good and can help preserve a species.
I wasn't aware that this was going on in India with Pokies & that is a real shame.
Another prime example of Ts being given a bad name in their native land. Lets hope that this can soon be rectified.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I prefer CBB. I don't feel comfortable with buying a WC animal.
But I understand the need for WC for breeders, and it would be great if species could be preserved this way. I don't think the governments of the countries care enough to actually set up a local breeding program, which is a shame.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
I prefer CBB. I don't feel comfortable with buying a WC animal.
But I understand the need for WC for breeders, and it would be great if species could be preserved this way. I don't think the governments of the countries care enough to actually set up a local breeding program, which is a shame.
I very much doubt that its very high on the list of priorities of the governments:mad: