Wikipedia is looking for a Loxosceles deserta photo

schnautzr

Arachnosquire
Attention southwesterners!

Hi y'all from southern Indiana!

I'm working on the article at Wikipedia on Loxosceles deserta (desert recluse) and was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind releasing a photo of one under a free license for use in the article.

The photo should be encyclopedic (i.e. high-resolution, close-up shot with minimal disturbances, preferably a natural setting, and cropped properly). The size doesn't need to be any larger than 300 pixels wide, however.

A free license means one of the following:

Creative Commons - anyone anywhere may use it for any purpose with the following options:
*You may require they credit you as the photographer
*You may require that derivative works are released under the same terms

-or-

Public domain - anyone anywhere may use it for any purpose with no restrictions

So...now that you know you're signing all rights away on whatever photo you provide, who'd like to help illustrate the article?

(I'd snap the photo myself, but I only have access to L. reclusa!)

Thanks in advance!

Isuzuki

Arachnopeon
Loxosceles Deserta

Hi Rob, This is crazy timing because I just moved to Arizona and have been fearing finding a recluse spider but figured I'd probably never see one because they're, well, reclusive. I did read up on them, though, and when my daughter asked me to look in her bathtub tonight, I was surprised to find what I do think is a deserta. I got my video camera, which has a macro lens on it, and I took a few pics. If this is what you're looking for, I think you'll like the pics very much. I'll just e-mail 4 pics to you and you can use them however you'd like. All I ask in return is that you give me your opinion as to whether this is truly loxosceles deserta (I have it in a jar right now, but I don't know who else to ask). I just happened across your request for a photo, and I registered specifically to answer your request. I will try to attach the 4 files. If you don't mind, please reply to my e-mail address at dbutler@fastmail.fm. (I'm David Butler).

Attachments

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you live within the range of more than one desert species, you will most likely not be able to confirm the ID via simple observation. ;) Pics posted above could be L.deserta.

Isuzuki

Arachnopeon
Thanks Rob,
What did you mean by this?
you will most likely not be able to confirm the ID via simple observation.
What is beyond "simple observation," which would allow me to confirm the ID?

Also, when you say, ". . . live within the range of more than one desert species," are you referring to L. deserta, apachea, arizonica, kaiba, and sabina?"
Do you think the photos are of SOME Loxosceles?

Thank you, Sir!

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Rob,
What did you mean by this?

What is beyond "simple observation," which would allow me to confirm the ID?

Also, when you say, ". . . live within the range of more than one desert species," are you referring to L. deserta, apachea, arizonica, kaiba, and sabina?"
Do you think the photos are of SOME Loxosceles?

Thank you, Sir!
A scope on the sex organs and the knowledge to know what to look for would be 'beyond simple observation'. There are differences with some species when it comes to leg length order, but this could only be a method used to compare certain species against each other.

Yes, sample above is Loxosceles.

Isuzuki

Arachnopeon
Sorry, Buthus.
The original post came from a guy named Rob, and I didn't look at the screen names at all--I just assumed that I was conversing with the original poster. Thanks so much for jumping in! I learned a lot from your comments. Haha. Lately, you even taught me to look at the screen names! Have a great day!

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm working on the article at Wikipedia on Loxosceles deserta (desert recluse) and was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind releasing a photo of one under a free license for use in the article.
Here's one. The photographer, RJ Adams, is currently writing a book about spiders:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/424377/bgimage

Maybe he'll give you permission to use it?

Last edited: