Wife was stung - what kind of scorpion is this?

Clarkmeister

Arachnopeon
Some research indicates it may be a bark scorpion, but I'm not sure. Anyone know for sure and/or have any advice or links to info?

Thank you

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is a Centruroides sculpturatus, or bark scorpion. They are one of the more venomous scorpions in the US. A heathly adult really doesn't have much to worry about. A child or an unhealthy adult might have more problems. I'd keep an eye open for any problems no matter how unlikly.

john

Roy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It is really not lethal, but it is the most venomous scorpion in North America.

Hopefully your wife is not in too much pain. Best wishes for her quick recovery.

Clarkmeister

Arachnopeon
Thanks. Our biggest concern is that there may be others. We're researching we can do to minimize the risk of another incident. It stung her finger and she's in pretty severe pain, but isn't experiencing any of the more severe symptoms I see online such as blurry vision or shortness of breath.

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In that case, it could be a dry sting, no worry if its so ;)
Anw looks like you have to be extra caution next time, as the saying goes, prevention is better than cure

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That seems to be C.sculpturatus that had a nice sized shoe on it's head :)

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
what were the circumstances she was stung under, ex: where in the house was it, where did it sting her, etc? Ive known many people who find them in sinks and showers and in the kitchen so if you live in a house where you think you might have a scorpion problem its nevr a bad idea to turn on lights when walking down a hall at night etc or checking before reaching into a dark space. BTW that is definitely a C. sculpturatus or arizona bark scorpion

John

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you find more feel free to send them to me, I would be glad to help you knock down the population a bit :)

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've been stung by them :| On my toe... It was horrible pain for the first 1 1/2hours, like my foot was on fire/exploding, after that about 15 hours of numbness... And, that was it. Sucks but I'm healthy so that's what it was like for me. I live in Las Vegas, NV and find them in my yard and house... Always fun to find them on the walls upstairs :eek:

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a few C.Sculpts myself and been stung a few times by them. Its not lethal or deadly, it just hurts like heak for a while. Your Wife probably had a dry sting. I would not worry about it. Btw, you could make a few bucks catching them and sending them to people. lol

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm feeling cheeky and it's 5 in the morning, so....

I think you should amputate. Just cut it off.. And we want pictures!! {D

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well neighbor (Vegas) welcome to the world of bark scorpions!!! My very first post on this board was - "I got stung, what is this"....LOL. The thing about bark scorpions is they can climb - so you can find them just about anywhere. And if you have one, I can promise you there are more. Get a black light and start hunting for them. They are most active here August through October. Your wife didn't have an allergic reaction so she should be fine. I've been stung enough by them to know it's not fun...But you NEED to take an aggressive approach which means you need to hunt them down. Pesticides will not help, don't let some pesticide company tell you they can get rid of them. They can't.

RyoKenzaki

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bet a bunch of hobbyist thirsting for this sp might be more effective than those pesticide company to get rid of them :D

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well neighbor (Vegas) welcome to the world of bark scorpions!!! My very first post on this board was - "I got stung, what is this"....LOL. The thing about bark scorpions is they can climb - so you can find them just about anywhere. And if you have one, I can promise you there are more. Get a black light and start hunting for them. They are most active here August through October. Your wife didn't have an allergic reaction so she should be fine. I've been stung enough by them to know it's not fun...But you NEED to take an aggressive approach which means you need to hunt them down. Pesticides will not help, don't let some pesticide company tell you they can get rid of them. They can't.
lol, we should find our original post and compare how we felt about them to the way we are now lol... I mean, how many scorpions and Tarantulas do we keep since last years panic attacks over them?? lol It's like a game hunting and buying them now{D.

also, just to note, since I stopped having my yard sprayed, I've noticed a reduction in scorpions... That of course due to them being well feed and not feeling the need to show their little buggy selves...

The only way to reduce a population like Kathy said is to hunt them... Black light your house at night and walk around your yard, don't step on them or you'll find them running up your leg!!! I cup mine, so they don't tend to get hurt when their caught and I can see them at all times, nothing more fun then not knowing where they went!!!