Widow Keepers

Rizzolo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
irony

I think this is ironic. I started some roach colonies to have free and plentiful food for my spiders, but they are so successful that i have to sell 100 times more than i feed to my spiders. I sell them for far less than other sellers usually sell them for and i still I can't help but make more money than i will ever make selling spiders. I had to sell off my whole colonies of B dubia and B discoidalis because they were overrunning me. they really sell well (and don't smell), but are about 10 times too big for my widows!!!

Now, i am left with B lateralis, who are objectionable little critters, but you gotta love em. my widow slings sure love those little nymphs!!

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This thread is great and there definitely is an interest in tha Latro recently. I currently have eight species, many thanks to Buthus and Jordan. I have traded sacs, slings and spiders with many on this and other boards. By the way if anybody is interested I have some available adult and subadult hesperus and geometricus. I have one particularly beautiful coffee colored female hesperus available. She is sister to the spider in this thread http://venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13101.
I'm currently in need of male Laos and new bishopi bloodlines.

Last edited:

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This thread is great and there definitely is an interest in tha Latro recently. I currently have eight species, many thanks to Buthus and Jordan. I have traded sacs, slings and spiders with many on this and other boards. By the way if anybody is interested in have some available adult and subadult hesperus and geometricus. I have one particularly beautiful coffee colored female hesperus available. She is sister to the spider in this thread http://venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13101.
I'm currently in need of male Laos and new bishopi bloodlines.
Should make her a breeding project ..maybe if she is not to old, she could be mated with on of the males I hope to get from the "texanus" that I expect to get soon. ;)

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just got a new species of widow for my collection today.

Found a geo in my backyard.... Not sure how I feel about that.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey did any of you get any of the widows todd G had forsale????

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Should make her a breeding project ..maybe if she is not to old, she could be mated with on of the males I hope to get from the "texanus" that I expect to get soon. ;)
She's old enough..Jordan has mated the one in the photo and gotten cream colored females already.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anyway... i just wanted to thank you all for the nice comments. Im not good with this sort of thing, so thats enough of that kind of talk. :D ;)

I have thought about selling ..more than a few times, but I have found that trades have taken care of my "needs".
I think alot of people, (myself included), had dreams of coming into the hobby and making a "killing" on selling. I'll bet many of you ran into the same problem that I did.....any money you made, went right back to buying more stuff!
So ya just eliminate the "root of all evil" :)D ) part of the equation via trading and you get to the same outcome. ;)

Plus, my goal lately has been figuring out the minimal requirements for raising each specie. I want to come up with the easiest formula to be able to keep lines going without having to raise tons of slings. Got to start with understanding who needs what and when, how many must be raised, how to get the strongest out of the batch, how to get the prettiest out of the batch and how to make sure I have some males ...and keep those boyz alive as long as possible.
If I started selling slings, Id be throwing away data so to speak. The formula... sell spiders and pay for the data works (hypothetically), but I dont live in that fantasy world. :D

I thought about selling well established set-ups ...enclosures designed for a specific specie with the female and males ready to go. Little "spider zoos" so to speak.

But anyway, what I believe is when a creature is sold ..that is not considered a traditional pet (and has no real history of being kept as a pet) its sale has to include more than just the animal itself. It has to include "tech support" ...the knowledge that is required to keep the animal alive and "happy".

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I thought about selling well established set-ups ...enclosures designed for a specific specie with the female and males ready to go. Little "spider zoos" so to speak.
But anyway, what I believe is when a creature is sold ..that is not considered a traditional pet (and has no real history of being kept as a pet) its sale has to include more than just the animal itself. It has to include "tech support" ...the knowledge that is required to keep the animal alive and "happy".

I like the idea of the established set-ups - especially pertaining to new keepers. This would really benefit them I think.
I love the idea of tech support as well.....just as long as we don't outsource all of our support to minimum wage workers in far off lands;)

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great avatar JPD "dr house" :D
You have to love Dr.House. I did have someone PM the other day asking if my avatar was a "killer." Perhaps this is from my past avatars featuring the likes of: Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, and Richard Ramierez.
So as not to seem morbid, I like to mix it up with relatively normal folks as well:)

Billdolfski

Arachnopeon
I kept an L. mactans and really enjoyed having her around. She was gravid when she was given to me and laid multiple eggsacs. Only if I knew anybody wanted/needed one.