Why you shouldn't use mesh vents with Ts

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
This was done by my uncle's roughly 4 inch genic. The edge of the vent was decimated and you could just gently touch the vent and it would open up.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Basically all the T had to do to escape at this point was push on the vent and it would fall right out or bend open leaving the T free to leave.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Yeah some are ok like the ones with the fused thick metal wiring but many suck, I just avoid mesh especially aluminum like those.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I never got how a tarantula uses its fangs to cut through the mesh. They're not sharp, they're pointy. They dont have serrated edges. If someone has a video of a T doing this, please link me to it, because I can't use a spear to cut down a tree.

TRection

Arachnoknight
I never got how a tarantula uses its fangs to cut through the mesh. They're not sharp, they're pointy. They dont have serrated edges. If someone has a video of a T doing this, please link me to it, because I can't use a spear to cut down a tree.
I think the way they do it is they use their fangs to pluck at the mesh over and over until it fails. Its not so much that they cut it, they yank on it like plucking at a guitar string and since most metal weakens as it bends the mesh eventually fails :) dont actually know for sure though, just speculation!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I think the way they do it is they use their fangs to pluck at the mesh over and over until it fails. Its not so much that they cut it, they yank on it like plucking at a guitar string and since most metal weakens as it bends the mesh eventually fails :) dont actually know for sure though, just speculation!
Sounds like it would give them a toothache :anxious: has a T's fangs ever been broken by doing this?

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
That's exactly what my C. darlingi does.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Sounds like it would give them a toothache :anxious: has a T's fangs ever been broken by doing this?
Yep.

That is basically it. I've watched my large Lp work on a screen lid. One might be surprised at how strongly they can pull on something with their legs once a fang is hooked.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Yeah I didn't think about how mesh could hurt a T's fangs so maybe even if it is strong enough mesh It's still not 100% safe. Also I've heard of Ts getting their feet stuck In them and being injured so another reason I personally avoid mesh.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Yeah I didn't think about how mesh could hurt a T's fangs so maybe even if it is strong enough mesh It's still not 100% safe. Also I've heard of Ts getting their feet stuck In them and being injured so another reason I personally avoid mesh.
I have screen lids on numerous enclosures. Only had one issue, my Lp mentioned above, she used to climb around a lot and look for escape points. It is possible terrestrials are at higher risk of getting stuck than arboreal. I personally do not worry much from a safety standpoint. I worry more from an escape standpoint and plan to change out most or all eventually. Maybe avoid extra fine mesh as that might be easier to get a claw stuck to.

I'm sure if you took a poll of people who use screens vs time in the hobby who have experienced problems it would be a very low number. Many ppl replace with acrylic, many don't. Up to the keeper. Some people will act like you shot their mother in the face in front of them at the mere mention of using screens. Doesn't mean it's going to be a problem for you.

I use terrariums with screen lids. I don't use water bowls. I hate dubias. Based on popular opinion my Ts should all be dead or dying.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Yeah I don't feel screens are outright gonna hurt your T especially arboreals who seem to be pretty damn good at not falling I just figure if there is a slight risk of a fang being hurt or a foot getting stuck, even in an escape proof mesh I'd rather just avoid it altogether.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
But don't use weak mesh guys or your genic may just pay you a surprise visit outside the enclosure lol.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Lol. I just make air holes too big and see who escapes. Recently I noticed I'm missing a Cyriooagopus sp. "hati hati" sling...kinda ticked, took it two weeks to find a way out. Likely dead by now.