Why spiders always cover their water dish in dirt?

SpiderRider1996

Arachnopeon
We change the water every day and yet the spiders always manage to cover it with dirt. I was wondering why this is happening and after weeks of observation, l finally discovered the reasons behind this behaviour. It is very important to know that water attracts different animals and spiders don’t like that so they cover it in dirt not to attract predators near them.
I also found a way to solve this problem which is to use not deep but high border dish so the spider cannot cover it in dirt and yet it can still climb up to have a drink. I won’t show pictures of that because you will say that spider need more substrate, more space…aka hate (the usual)
However, I observe and write everything in a notebook.
But now you know the reasons behind this behaviour. If you want to change my theory then do so and let me know your discoveries.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Are you for sure, for sure, about this hunch? I’ve been racking my brain over what this T’s issue is; either super paranoid or just an ungrateful tenant. 🤣

1B566460-17E4-414A-83A9-E6591EE5E12B.jpeg

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
I always thought it was because water would wash things away; hence their trash such as boluses and moults.

MerryAdvocado

Arachnopeon
We change the water every day and yet the spiders always manage to cover it with dirt. I was wondering why this is happening and after weeks of observation, l finally discovered the reasons behind this behaviour. It is very important to know that water attracts different animals and spiders don’t like that so they cover it in dirt not to attract predators near them.
I also found a way to solve this problem which is to use not deep but high border dish so the spider cannot cover it in dirt and yet it can still climb up to have a drink. I won’t show pictures of that because you will say that spider need more substrate, more space…aka hate (the usual)
But now you know the reasons behind this behaviour. If you want to change my theory then do so and let me know your discoveries.
My Tarantulas rarely do this, but I know it's extremely common for keepers. The only one that's done it in the last 6 months is my juvenile G.Pulchra, as she was excavating her borrow, she piled all the dirt on one side which included the water bowl. I removed the substrate and she hasn't done it since.

pongdict

Arachnosquire
My Tarantulas rarely do this, but I know it's extremely common for keepers. The only one that's done it in the last 6 months is my juvenile G.Pulchra, as she was excavating her borrow, she piled all the dirt on one side which included the water bowl. I removed the substrate and she hasn't done it since.
Mine does it a lot. I just dump the substrate and left over water, clean the dish and put fresh water. It is becoming a battle of attrition between me and my Ts, which I think I will eventually lose :D

Jumbie Spider

Arachnobaron
Not always. I have Theraphosa and Pamphobeteus that don't do this. Maybe there's not enough room in the enclosure?

SpiderRider1996

Arachnopeon
Some spiders like to move things around like I put moss on the ground and Brachypelma took all that moss and throw everything inside her hide. So sometimes they just cover anything that’s U shape

magouilles

Arachnoknight
None of my tarantulas do this. My T.albo did it until I upgraded her to a bigger enclosure and has now completely stopped, even a year later still hasn't done it. Maybe I'm just lucky that my ts don't despise me too much.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
None of my t's fill their water dishes either. However, my darlingis scoff at the very idea of a water dish, and they just become wall support for the burrows. *shrug* spoods be doing what spoods do.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
They're renovating their property and someone keeps putting this big ugly plastic thing in the way! What would any sensible creature do? Bury it.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
They fill the dish to keep away predators, such as the ruthless crocodiles and anacondas. Did you know.. in the wild, a single tarantula can fill an entire watering hole with substrate in a matter of hours!

Stay tuned for more “Hella crazy facts bro!”

Last edited:

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All good answers and hypotheses. So why do they do it ? Because they can ;) Ok, I'll see myself out :p

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Tarantulas be like, why humans always uncover our water dishes in dirt?

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Only my 2 T. albopilosus have done this none of my other ones. This only happened from slings to 2 to 2.5 inch dls. Once they hit 3 inches that was the end of it.

In their case it was due to them tunneling deeper and bringing the substrate out and dumping it everywhere away from the burrow entrance. No magic reason going on there other than that.