why oh why !!!

tikbalang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
any comments.......

my h.lividum hasn't dug a burrow, it only stay on a pre-dug i created and sealed it with webbing (as shown in the pic).

Attachments

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
><

All t's are different,it may like that!Or maybe you shouldn't have done that..Check with on of the wiser people!

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Mine never dug a burrow either. After 3 weeks of it freaking out everytime I entered the room I took pity on it and gave it half a flower pot with a depression under it. I was hoping she would choose to enlarge her home, but so far she shows no such inclination......and I no longer have a freaked out spider running all over her cage when I walk in the room.

Leanne

tikbalang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
actually, she's not nervous or anything. when inside the pre-dug covered by webbing, she just keep still until i disturb the web intentionally.

but look at my thai edible T, it already create a new burrow (shown in the pic).

Attachments

Fungii

Arachnopeon
How long have you had it in there? My lividum was in a tank with very little substrate and it would always climb the sides and hang near the top. I eventually filled the tank about 2/3 full of potting soil, but for a week she just huddled in a corner. Then a couple nights ago, she began to dig and now she has a tube running straight down to the bottom. Maybe she just needs time? Or maybe she's just dam lazy! ;P

tikbalang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, i had her since dec2002. in her original container (a little bit smaller), she does the same. in the corner enclose in a webbing.

i transfer her to a bigger/taller container thinking she will do something else. i guess i'm wrong.

i'll observe her for more time.

tikbalang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lam: sorry, but i don't get your point. probably too worried.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
tikbalang I know how ya feel in a way. We have an usambar that won't web.
It bothered me at first. But she's eating and active and seems to be healthy.
So I'm not worrying about it anymore. If she webs she webs. If not.
Well hay. I get to see her more. :)

Just give her time. Feed her and make sure she Has what she needs for when she decides what she wants to do.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It all depends on how comfortable the spider is in it's enclosure, my lividum has a burrow dug all the way to the bottom as does my albostriatum, but if it feel comfortable just onder the artificial burrow you have provided it may just stay there. It may be in pre-molt also? One of these days you will have a pleasant surprise of a deep burrow, it may happen over the course of one night. Good luck.

Andy

tikbalang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well i guess so, time will tell.

its very unpredictable if an old world T is in pre-molt stage.

hope to see a new burrow.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
tikbalang I know how ya feel in a way. We have an usambar that won't web.
It bothered me at first. But she's eating and active and seems to be healthy.
So I'm not worrying about it anymore. If she webs she webs. If not.
Well hay. I get to see her more. :)

Just give her time. Feed her and make sure she Has what she needs for when she decides what she wants to do.
I have a P murinus that just won't web.
I tried removing most of the substrate and it just huddled in the corner looking rather stressed out, so I gave the substrate back.

The Usambara on the other hand is quite a prolific webber, though not as bad/good as some.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Well, I have a I guess, untypical blondi. She has never burrowed, at all. The most she has ever done was to wad up some substrate, combine it with webbing, and seal one end of her half log up. Now that I have some heat underneath her enclosure, she now stands out in the open...:?
Peace,
Gillian

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
no worries

apparently your T is comfortable not burrowing you have nothing to worry about if your T feels like borrowing she will do so :D

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
True..besides..I get to enjoy her more..:)
Peace,
Gillian

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
"Well, I have a I guess, untypical blondi. She has never burrowed, at all. The most she has ever done was to wad up some substrate, combine it with webbing, and seal one end of her half log up. Now that I have some heat underneath her enclosure, she now stands out in the open... :?
Peace,
Gillian"

My T blondi has never even attempted even that much. she just sits on top of the substrate, and the most she ever did was dig a slight depression into the sub under the half log.. she's never underground. Maybe it' not so uncommon? I have a heatpad underneath as well.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
You really have to admit, it gives us a chance to enjoy these beautiful behemoths..:)
Peace,
Gillian

tikbalang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, i guess time will tell.....

i hope she dug, if not wellthat's ok..

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe the lack of burrowing has something to do with the fact that the tanks are heated from underneath. Tarantulas will probably burrow down to escape heat from above, so a heat source that is coming from below could possibly mess up the burrowing instinct. Just a thought....

Cheers,

Dan.

tikbalang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well here in manila, philippines we don't use heating pads. the temperature are ok with tarantulas.

even with other reptiles like bearded dragon and leopard gex.