Why is this Regalis so dark???

Rich

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My P. regalis just molted. It still looks like a female but why is she so dark? This photo was taken outside in the sunlight!

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is it just me?? Or does anyone else NOT see a picture???

Rich

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why is this P. regalis so dark???

Sorry, photo was too large.

This P. regalis just molted. It still looks like a female but why is she so dark??? This photo was taken outside in the sunlight.

Attachments

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Not sure why she's so dark. Sometimes, spiders look better (brighter/colorful) indoors with a flash from the camera. Great looking spider anyway.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats a really cool pic! And it could just be the photo. I have a series of pics i took of my father's A.seemani's and they look a deep deep deep blueish purple, darker than i've ever seen.

nice pic though!

pce
dave

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Colour depends upon camera used, and how much photoshopping was applied to the image. I wouldn't worry about how dark she is. She's absolutely GORGEOUS though :)

Rich

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, it's not the camera, she looks that way in person...in all all kinds of lighting.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Does she have the cream colored band on the dorsal surface of the abdomen?

Could just be proximity to her last molt. She may lighten up later.

bill

Rich

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, she has the cream colored band on her underside. It was 7 days ago that she molted. Hopefully she will lighten up.

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Why would you want her to lighten up? The contrast looks awesome.

Bry

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
wow, that is an amazingly beautiful spider. i agree, that dark coloring makes the white/cream stand out all the more and make her look fantastic.

Rich

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wanted to see the stripes on her abdoman. With the sides of her abdoman so dark, you can't see any stripes.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i tell you what, if you find another one, i'll buy that one from you okay? (grin)

she is friggin' gorgeous!!! what's their temperament like, not the best right?

anyway, dude, be sooOoo grateful, she's lovely!

i know what you mean though...i've seen the gorgeous pure gray with deep purple carapace G. rosea and mine is more of a brownish phase.

i still love her though. ;)

however, if i ever SEE one of those lovely gray/purples, they are MINE! (grin)

Rich

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This regalis isn't as aggressive as my ornata. When I stick tongs in the ornata's cage to change the water dish, she goes after them until she realizes they are not food. She even goes after the stream of water when I am pouring it into the dish!

To take the photo of the regalis, I opened the lid and stuck the tongs in the cage to guide her onto the piece of cork which was sticking in the ground in the backyard. She didn't go after the tongs like the ornata would have. However, you can't handle the regalis like you can a G. rosea.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
No, I mean is there a cream colored band (running left-right, not up-down) on the underside of the abdomen? Not the top side, the underside.

If it doesn't have one, it's not regalis and could be P. pederseni or even P. striata, which are both a tad darker than your average P. regalis.

bill

Rich

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes. She has the cream-colored band running left-to-right. If the regalis is the only pokie with that then she is definately a regalis. Perhaps, only one of her parents was a regalis???

Rich