Why is P. murinus the "Big Bad" of the hobby?

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I've never had issues with them being aggressive. I think the key is to make sure that they have a hiding place so that they can escape from any disturbances. Mine has only given me a threat posture when he felt cornered during rehouses. Even as a MM, he runs and hides instead of throwing a threat posture. My experience with others of this species has been similar. But, of course, each specimen is different. I think that they have the reputation because they're well known, have been in the hobby for a while, and many people don't keep them in the correct setups which contributes to defensiveness. I'm sure there are specimens out there that are probably much more defensive in general, though.
I allowed my first a full natural burrow and had a pet hole. I don't sleep much so I would get to enjoy her out late at night. She still would come out if I was removing things from her enclosure, like cleaning out the dead. I have no issues with allowing them to burrow. I figure if that's how they are the most comfortable I will let it happen

on a similar note, I have a juvenile P.Rufilata that also carries a reputation and it is so mellow and runs and hides if I have to deal inside her space

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
They are easy to keep, cheap and readily available. Therefore they lack the stigma many large, bad, shiny O/W’s do.

Many then underestimate them, impulse purchase them and realise they are in far deeper water than anticipated. They make said keepers first ‘feisty O/W’ experience and receive a moniker of being the big bad.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
this will sound odd but an OBT was my first T. It was a rescue from someone who had left it at an office. It was lovely and I didn't want anything bad happening to it. I looked it up and realized I had a steep learning curve as I entered the hobby. First think I found was the substrate was wrong so I had to set up new digs. For a new collector it was sites like this that helped me through.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I think that it's just the fact that they are so commonly available. There are many specimens that ARE defensive, but it only comes down to the fact that there are so many out there in the first place. That's my two cents....

I have two slings and they are flighty as hell, but I've never gotten a threat pose from either. Obviously, they're only slings, so this may change when they put on some size, but they've been pretty manageable thus far....

lewiis

Arachnopeon
I have a TCF that’s super chill and would rather hid in its burrow than stand and fight

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Ya know, the debate on the disposition of these spiders is ongoing, as is the varied opinions you read/hear. My personal experience is that they just don’t want ANYTHING to do with intrusion. Let’s be specific “defense” is the reaction to perceived “offense”. These critters’ sense of offense is apparently quite acute. They react to a perceived invasion of their burrow. If they are set up correctly, that burrow should be a significant distance from the point at which you enter to do your husbandry, and they will gladly, and expeditiously move to safe haven. Yeah, mine is defensive, but that is manifest by retreating, and if I approach like I have a half a lick of sense, that retreat is just walking into its burrow/web complex. Mine has never thrown the pose. I often shine my light on it when it’s out chilling and it doesn’t budge. I can take all the pictures I want. However, the moment that enclosure moves, it’s gone. I just don’t push its boundaries, but I’m pretty sure if I did, it would react “typically”.

I also think (subjectivity alert) that because the OBT has been a staple for so long, particularly the staple of bad attitude, folks have used it as one to easily elicit dramatic defensive reactions to demonstrate how badass they are because they keep an OBT. There are much more defensive specimens. Goof around C. doriae and see what you get, or rehouse C. schmidti for good times. I’ve been keeping for a little while, and have more than a few tarantulas. I have come to the conclusion that in no way can you get your badass card punched by keeping them, none of them. They are very skittish little creatures that just don’t want to be bothered, and some will go, out of their way to prove it. Heck, I keep some common aquarium fish that are much more aggressive than any tarantula.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
almost every person, I know or heard about, who has been bit was typically antagonizing them to get threat posture for photos

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Because most people house them incorrectly (i.e. in "semi-arboreal" setups) and muck about with them and then wonder why they have a perpetually hyper-defensive jack in the box. Also, idiots on YouTube.

House them correctly and they shouldn't give you any trouble.
And worse yet - idiots on YouTube who don't house them correctly. I've seen too many videos with "Insane OBT's" where you look at the enclosure and there's no place for them to hide. And they wonder why they're "insane".

Royalty

Arachnoknight
Mine has been quite the sweetie (as far as t’s go)

Mine retreats if I am doing something with tongs but sometimes opening to feed or water it just hangs out. I never got a threat pose from it yet.

That being said mine is only about 3 inches.

OBTs have always been my fav. They are orange and cute like Garfield except everyday is a Monday.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Ya know, the debate on the disposition of these spiders is ongoing, as is the varied opinions you read/hear. My personal experience is that they just don’t want ANYTHING to do with intrusion. Let’s be specific “defense” is the reaction to perceived “offense”. These critters’ sense of offense is apparently quite acute. They react to a perceived invasion of their burrow. If they are set up correctly, that burrow should be a significant distance from the point at which you enter to do your husbandry, and they will gladly, and expeditiously move to safe haven. Yeah, mine is defensive, but that is manifest by retreating, and if I approach like I have a half a lick of sense, that retreat is just walking into its burrow/web complex. Mine has never thrown the pose. I often shine my light on it when it’s out chilling and it doesn’t budge. I can take all the pictures I want. However, the moment that enclosure moves, it’s gone. I just don’t push its boundaries, but I’m pretty sure if I did, it would react “typically”.

I also think (subjectivity alert) that because the OBT has been a staple for so long, particularly the staple of bad attitude, folks have used it as one to easily elicit dramatic defensive reactions to demonstrate how badass they are because they keep an OBT. There are much more defensive specimens. Goof around C. doriae and see what you get, or rehouse C. schmidti for good times. I’ve been keeping for a little while, and have more than a few tarantulas. I have come to the conclusion that in no way can you get your badass card punched by keeping them, none of them. They are very skittish little creatures that just don’t want to be bothered, and some will go, out of their way to prove it. Heck, I keep some common aquarium fish that are much more aggressive than any tarantula.
Funny you say that I have a 2” clown fish that will lose his mind when you do aquarium maintenance and he continuously attacks and bites. Tried giving it a tank mate and the clown attacked it every time it saw the new one leave one corner.