Why does the tarantula community vehemently oppose heat padd?

Jason B

Arachnosquire
For reference the item I use to regulate my heat rope is this however I feel if I decide to replace this I would prolly use a lamp dimmer instead I just use this cause its 5 years old and still working don't feel the need to replace it.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Yeah i had a 1500 watt electric that raised it up that much, granted, it was ran 24/7
That makes more sense... Lots of electric ones now can be set to a certain temperature, only turning on when the temp drops below what you set it at. They are a lot more efficient. I wouldn't want it on 24/7 anyway, that would make my T room far too hot.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
also keep in mind, a lot of the times when people say Not to use heat mats can be situational.

theres several groups on FB of tarantula keepers in my local area, and i will always get on and tell them to not even bother with heat mats.
BUT, everybody in these groups lives here in arizona and in a place like this, there is literally no reason to use them. from april-october the temperature rarely drops below 70 degrees and unless you keep your AC cranked below that(which literally is not a thing here in Arizona, keeping it at 78 degrees in a 1 bedroom apartment cost ~200 a month in the summer) or you keep your T's in the fridge, there is rarely a reason to even need an additional heat source, let alone a Heat source that close to the T(consider its usually an ambient 75-80 degrees inside air conditioned houses anyway)

so at the end of the day its all situational.
if you live somewhere cold? yea, you'll need to be creative with heat sources.
BUT i think we can all agree, if your not in a place where it gets truly frigid, and you have a way to heat the rooms ambient temperature, theres no reason to keep a big heat mat directly on the bottom of the tank and keep it on at all times, like the way Stores like Petco and Petsmart suggest you do.

boina

Lady of the mites
This is not directly heat mat related, but what really surprises me is all those people saying it's cold where they live, so they need an extra heat source for their Ts. I mean, of course it's cold - outside. I live in a pretty cold climate myself, but I don't need an extra heat source for my Ts, because my whole house is heated in winter (and fall, and spring...). I like a comfortable temperature in my house for myself, and I don't want to sit on my couch with a blanket or a wool sweater. Don't you guys heat your homes?

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
This is not directly heat mat related, but what really surprises me is all those people saying it's cold where they live, so they need an extra heat source for their Ts. I mean, of course it's cold - outside. I live in a pretty cold climate myself, but I don't need an extra heat source for my Ts, because my whole house is heated in winter (and fall, and spring...). I like a comfortable temperature in my house for myself, and I don't want to sit on my couch with a blanket or a wool sweater. Don't you guys heat your homes?
When trying to breed tropical species, it's better to have it warmer than what I'm comfortable with. When it's in the negatives or single digits (Fahrenheit) outside 3 months of the year my T room can dropped 10 plus degrees for many reasons. For example the windows need to be insulated because the cold pours in or a mindless spouse or roommate who messes with the house temps or say covers the heating vent for what ever reason like putting something over it because they weren't thinking (specific because that happened to me) If your not breeding and it's above 60F you shouldn't need a heating source unless you are trying to grow them faster...

What happens if your heater goes out, it'd be nice to have a back up just in case. This has happen to some unfortunate hobbyists resulting in losing a lot of their collection.

Last edited:

Nanchantress

ArachnoFriend
Old Timer
I don't use supplemental heat mats, but on chilly winter evenings when we turn on the gas fireplace, my tarantulas sometimes get to enjoy the warmth too. Once I had 4 enclosures lined up on the floor (not too close of course) and all 4 T's were angled against the sides with their bellies towards the heat. It was pretty darn cute. I try not to anthropomorphize, but pretty sure he was enjoying the moment. 20161214_202358.jpg

Last edited:

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't use supplemental heat mats, but on chilly winter evenings when we turn on the gas fireplace, my tarantulas sometimes get to enjoy the warmth too. Once I had 4 enclosures lined up on the floor (no too close of course) and all 4 T's were angled against the sides with their bellies towards the heat. It was pretty darn cute. I try not to anthropomorphize, but pretty sure he was enjoying the moment. View attachment 241098
Hahaha that is the perfect implementation of applying a human associated trait to an invert without being a victim of the title anthropomorphizing

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I don't recommend them because I'm cheap.

My spider room has dropped to 50 degrees for two week intervals. Even with a T.stirmi sling, I had no losses. I don't recommend it but, I think that you can get over zealous with temperature. If your specific goal is to have 100% controlled micro climate, then go for it. That is what great about this hobby.

everyone has different goals in this hobby and will consider their goals to be the same as everyone else, there for they have to abide by your rules.

Is the horse dead yet?

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't recommend them because I'm cheap.

My spider room has dropped to 50 degrees for two week intervals. Even with a T.stirmi sling, I had no losses. I don't recommend it but, I think that you can get over zealous with temperature. If your specific goal is to have 100% controlled micro climate, then go for it. That is what great about this hobby.

everyone has different goals in this hobby and will consider their goals to be the same as everyone else, there for they have to abide by your rules.

Is the horse dead yet?
Well, i mean, what do you mean different "goals"?

Like, youre keeping the t at 50 degree weather for 2 weeks, its not an awful thing to do, but is that your "goal"?
Also how can you say you dont recommend it, but then string that people get overzealous onto that statement, as if that's the opposite action.

cold blood

Staff member
OP, you are using the pad the right way, taking a direct heat source and turning it into a secondary heat source, creating a micro-climate...its actually suggested here regularly.

I agree... The problem is these newbies are taught this without an alternative.
So not true (at least here on AB)...I've personally went through the steps to use a heat pad correctly several times (and have seen others post the same repeatedly)...basically just like the op uses....on top of that I regularly suggest a heat bath as a consistent and cheap heating alternative.

Alternative uses for a heat pad and alternative heating options are constantly offered...the space heater is just the most common.

space heaters are brutal, they easily cost you an additional 150+ dollars a month
Now I read that you use some crazy heater, it sounds like something to hit with a baseball bat...but dang, I use an oil filled heater (like CEC) that runs non-stop from October until April (this year its been very cool, so its still running) and it adds basically 20-30 bucks a month.

The problem aren't heat mats. The problem is when people use them wrong
ding ding, we have a winner...most people want to stick them on the enclosure...that's the wrong way to use them for ts...that's how they are used for reptiles, which have significantly different heat requirements. Direct heat also draws them right to it, which is one of, if not the biggest danger a heat pad presents.

what really surprises me is all those people saying it's cold where they live, so they need an extra heat source for their Ts. I mean, of course it's cold - outside. I live in a pretty cold climate myself, but I don't need an extra heat source for my Ts, because my whole house is heated in winter (and fall, and spring...).
I can't get this either...sometimes I think the US is the only place that has furnaces and insulation...glad das Germans are up to date:)...I'm baffled that cold climates of Scotland and England have homes that are consistently under insulated (or so they claim all the time)...I mean, who's the hack building homes there? Its cold consistently, build your domiciles to meet the cold requirements you absolutely positively know for a fact you will have each and every year. :banghead:

I live in a super cold climate, like CEC, and if I were to build an un-insulated house with an inadequate furnace, it simply wouldn't pass inspection...in other words, it would not be considered fit for human habitation and you wouldn't be allowed to move in until it was rectified.

Often I feel like everyone over there lives in tents and caves the way they talk about the cold.

What happens if your heater goes out, it'd be nice to have a back up just in case.
Its called a furnace...the ultimate backup plan every home should already have.

Last edited:

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OP, you are using the pad the right way, taking a direct heat source and turning it into a secondary heat source, creating a micro-climate...its actually suggested here regularly.

So not true (at least here on AB)...I've personally went through the steps to use a heat pad correctly several times (and have seen others post the same repeatedly)...basically just like the op uses....on top of that I regularly suggest a heat bath as a consistent and cheap heating alternative.

Alternative uses for a heat pad and alternative heating options are constantly offered...the space heater is just the most common.

Now I read that you use some crazy heater, it sounds like something to hit with a baseball bat...but dang, I use an oil filled heater (like CEC) that runs non-stop from October until April (this year its been very cool, so its still running) and it adds basically 20-30 bucks a month.

ding ding, we have a winner...most people want to stick them on the enclosure...that's the wrong way to use them for ts...that's how they are used for reptiles, which have significantly different heat requirements. Direct heat also draws them right to it, which is one of, if not the biggest danger a heat pad presents.

I can't get this either...sometimes I think the US is the only place that has furnaces and insulation...glad das Germans are up to date:)...I'm baffled that cold climates of Scotland and England have homes that are consistently under insulated (or so they claim all the time)...I mean, who's the hack building homes there? Its cold consistently, build your domiciles to meet the cold requirements you absolutely positively know for a fact you will have each and every year. :banghead:

I live in a super cold climate, like CEC, and if I were to build an un-insulated house with an inadequate furnace, it simply wouldn't pass inspection...in other words, it would not be considered fit for human habitation and you wouldn't be allowed to move in until it was rectified.

Often I feel like everyone over there lives in tends and caves the way they talk about the cold.

Often I feel like everyone over there lives in tends and caves the way they talk about the cold.

A heat... BATH? What in tarnation!

cold blood

Staff member
This is some sorcery, details please.
This is cut from the last time I explained it....

Yeah, it works really well for smaller enclosures and its also probably the most economical way to heat enclosures that I have come across.

I basically took a tub, filled it with water. Submerged a platform (often just plastic containers filled with water and rocks) and placed another stable container on that platform.

I also put maybe an inch of water in this, and this is what will hold the enclosures.

Then you place an aquarium heater in the main basin (make sure it can stay submerged or it will crack) and set your temps and you are done. The only maintenance required is the replacement of the water due to evap to ensure the top platform remains submerged as well as your heater.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is cut from the last time I explained it....

Yeah, it works really well for smaller enclosures and its also probably the most economical way to heat enclosures that I have come across.

I basically took a tub, filled it with water. Submerged a platform (often just plastic containers filled with water and rocks) and placed another stable container on that platform.

I also put maybe an inch of water in this, and this is what will hold the enclosures.

Then you place an aquarium heater in the main basin (make sure it can stay submerged or it will crack) and set your temps and you are done. The only maintenance required is the replacement of the water due to evap to ensure the top platform remains submerged as well as your heater.
What about the sensitivity of the tarantulas receptors, which is extreme, to the idea that they are literally floating on a platform?

cold blood

Staff member
What about the sensitivity of the tarantulas receptors, which is extreme, to the idea that they are literally floating on a platform?
Its not floating, the enclosures are stable...if they aren't, it means there is too much water.

The enclosure is no different than on a table except the bottoms are surrounded by warm water.