Why do tarantulas put dirt in their water dish?

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
No one knows, but I suspect once science has put the time in to answer this riddle, the answer will be 42.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
So far I've yet to get a spider who moves substrate into her dish, should I count my blessings?

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
they just do probably for the same reason some steal the dish and drag it underground

biteybitey

Arachnopeon
My T. Albo is my serial water dish filler. Always mounds of dirt after I refill. Maybe I will do the experiment mentioned and switch the position of the dish and see if she will fill it up again 😅

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My T. Albo is my serial water dish filler. Always mounds of dirt after I refill. Maybe I will do the experiment mentioned and switch the position of the dish and see if she will fill it up again 😅
I’ve had to use multiple water dishes after losing a spider or two over the many years to dehydration. Can’t risk them burying their water supply .. I’ve yet to see a spider bury all 2-3 dishes .

biteybitey

Arachnopeon
I just remembered my fireleg brought its water dish inside the hide. I didn’t bother to retrieve it anymore 😆

jennywallace

Arachnopeon
Yeah many of mine either bury, turn over or defecate in their water dishes. To be fair to them though, it's interesting watching them doing their thing :)

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
The problem is, if they're venomous, you'd prefer not to have to go in there and mess with the dish. I've figured out a way to keep it relatively clean with a trap door and some makeshift wire tools. I refill the water with a syringe.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
In the wild they also have more space and importantly they usually have dew every day to drink. Aside from other sources, night time cooling temps and condensation is often fairly consistent. A very confined space with a fresh dish of water covering a significant portion of the space they can possibly utilize isnt exactly natural nor how they evolved :) As such, I wouldn't put the weird label on them, rather us and how we keep them. In this way, we must accept that part of our job is changing the water dish. A small compromise considering how much we alter their living conditions.