Why do Giant Desert Hairies sting EVERYTHING?

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Every time I see a feeding video of one of these scorpions, they sting whatever prey item they've been handed. Even if said prey item is a cricket smaller than one of their pincers, even if said cricket isn't struggling at all, they still sting it. Their pincers looks powerful, so what gives?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
They ARE pretty aggresive by nature. In the desert, thay would need to secure any prey they come across. May as well give it the sting a few times to make sure it won't get up and run away by chance ;)

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
My desert hairy must be a weird one then. All he does is pinch the crickets head and consume it alive head first. He never seems to sting. :D But yes, the species tends to be very aggressive, I just have the abnormal one.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@WeightedAbyss75 @ScorpSarah

Hadrurus arizonensis
are not "aggressive." They are defensive.
My specimens usually sting their prey. But not always. Our captive specimens tend to eat more than their wild counterparts.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe the general idea is that since they do not crush their prey with their claws to subdue them, a sting is just a failsafe. Plus, it's not just crickets they consume in the wild. They will readily eat other lizards and scorpions.