Why Do Cellar Spiders Leave Their Web?

Topazz

Arachnopeon
I found this article because I had a cellar spider make a web above my bed. I use to be scared of spiders. Then I decided that instead of killing them, I'd take them outside. Now, when this spider showed up, I felt comforted and looked forward to seeing it above my bed. Then two days ago. it crept down the wall, and I haven't seen it since. I'm actually sad about it. This conversation was comforting. I was feeling like I lost my mind, but see I'm not alone. I miss my spider and keep wondering if I should leave the web or get rid of it. Any suggestions?
I found this article trying to find out how long they can leave a web before returning.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I found this article because I had a cellar spider make a web above my bed. I use to be scared of spiders. Then I decided that instead of killing them, I'd take them outside. Now, when this spider showed up, I felt comforted and looked forward to seeing it above my bed. Then two days ago. it crept down the wall, and I haven't seen it since. I'm actually sad about it. This conversation was comforting. I was feeling like I lost my mind, but see I'm not alone. I miss my spider and keep wondering if I should leave the web or get rid of it. Any suggestions?
I found this article trying to find out how long they can leave a web before returning.
I've seen them abandon webs on rare occasions. I have no idea why. Do they return? I don't know that either but usually they don't. If the web was undisturbed, perhaps age or a desire to find a mate was a factor?

folkmare

Arachnopeon
I would guess that it could be a MM, but it could also just be finding a new home. Cool that you saw it catch another spider, spiders are their specialty.
I saw one recently take down a quite large funnel weaver grass spider (I have both in my back hallway) and it was SO impressive given the size difference and how spindly cellar spiders are. My guess is that the funnel weaver was just not equipped to navigate that kind of web and it got tangled.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I saw one recently take down a quite large funnel weaver grass spider
That's an interesting study and good example. As an analogy, the funnel weaver is wearing track shoes and is the pro on it's mesh web track. The pholcid would be the lineman with climbing spikes traversing a power pole - or more like a jungle gym in a playground. The spikes aren't just on the feet but extend nearly the entire length of it's legs. Any thread in the phocid web provides a stable surface to work from. Then it literally runs circles around the track star from a safe distance, wrapping it in webbing.
Cobweb weavers suffer the same fate. They have combs on their feet to manipulate webs and rely on sticky lines to trap prey. They cannot traverse the random mass of a pholcid web with any alacrity with each foot having to find a thread to work from while the pholcid has feet, so to speak, everywhere; up the tibia and even the femoral region. All it has to do is extend any leg in an arc and it gets purchase of a thread.

Last edited: