Why can't you see your lividums? (Double feature)

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Because I can basically see them every day!

I have my 6 digger tanks setup in the hallway where it's almost always dark. If I don't walk past for a few hours most of the T's will sit at the entrances of their tubes or they're maybe even out on the substrate. All of them have burrows that go down to the bottom of the tanks.
So what's up? Why can I see them so often (during brief flashlight check-ups) and why can so many people here not?

I'm actually so used to seeing them that I'm almost wondering if one of them is dead. It's one indivudual that has moulted 2 months ago. It received food after the cool off period, hunted as normal but didn't eat. The boluses are slightly chewed but other than that the insects are in tact. I wonder what's up with that?! I havn't seen that T for 2 weeks now (don't wanna poke my nose down the hole though...).

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I guess because yr hallway is mostly dark? I know that mine will usually sit at the top of its burrow with its legs sticking out, if its dim enough, otherwise it won't be visible. And I need only tap/bump gently the container to see all those legs vanish down the hole. :)

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The room my Ts are in gets TONS of natural sunlight, and my H. lividum sling (1 1/2"+) is always sitting just outside the front entrance of its burrow, day or night. He/she also has a burrow that extends to the bottom of the jar (6" or so) with a very large chamber at the bottom. I don't know if this behavior will change as the T gets older, but I've often wondered the same thing you are when I hear other people talk about not seeing their lividums for months on end.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Mine is in a dim corner of the room with the side with a burrow I made along the glass covered in foil. Despite the foil it webbed up the side, and will not even poke its feet out of the top of the burrow.

I personally think all your cobalt blues are self-hating with self esteem issues and need validation from their owners so the can feel good about themselves.:evil:

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Mine is in a dim corner of the room with the side with a burrow I made along the glass covered in foil. Despite the foil it webbed up the side, and will not even poke its feet out of the top of the burrow.

I personally think all your cobalt blues are self-hating with self esteem issues and need validation from their owners so the can feel good about themselves.:evil:
I think much has to do with how much vibration the can sense also. Unless I step very lightly in the hallway, really like a faery ....even a rather fat one, I don't get to see them and only hear them bolting into the burrows.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mine bolts as soon as I lift the jar off of the shelf, but will often come back up to snatch crickets before I can even release them from the forceps.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine bolts as soon as I lift the jar off of the shelf, but will often come back up to snatch crickets before I can even release them from the forceps.
That must be a treat to watch, I want a vid of it! :D :clap:

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
could it be that they do not like being in captivity ? or they hate their owners LOL ;) ;) :) :D === phil