Why baboon?

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So many old world species of tarantula have the term BABOON in their common name. WHy is this?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Because the term "Teletubbie" was already taken and didn't sound fierce enough.

Botar

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sunburst Horned Teletubbie... just doesn't work.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Teletubbies are scary and gross. I thought the real answer would be known by Code Monkey or somebody who seems knowlegeable.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
No, its because baboons would step on them and get bitten and die and scientists didnt know why these baboons kept dying until one of them witnessed it with his own eyes. They still die in large numbers today. Although not as much, due to the exploitation of these "baboon" spiders today. :D

Like, get it strait man !! If youre gunna give him an answer, give a truthful one !!

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I personally have no idea what the historical reason behind the term 'baboon' in many OW names. I just assumed it had to do with their appearance, hairy and sort of monkey faced.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is what I thought as well but then I look at the faces of my Usumbura and my H Maculata and they arent very ape like.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe it because Baboons are mean tempered and quick to lashout and defend themselfs? Just my guess. Is themselfs a word?

Ernie

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
actually, it's themselves...LOL
As for baboon, I have heard that they sit in their burrow entrance, and look like a baboon's hand sticking out???
Anyone else heard this? :confused:

Speaking of Teletubbies (must we?!)
Teletubbies may not be fierce, but their stupidity is legendary!

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey, Immortal_sin

Immortal_sin,
Thanks for the correction, I did'nt think it looked right.
Now that you mention it, I have heard the Baboon hand story.

On a side note: Maybe you can help me out. You've been posting here for some time now and I'm trying to figure out why every time I post I get a black dot on the envelope next to the subject bar. I'm not subscribed to any threads. The e-mail notification option is not enabled. I cant figure it out. I guess it really doesnt matter, but I'd sure like to know.
Thanks for any help,

Ernie

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MrT i believe the black dot is for your convenience.....notice that any thread you post to will have a black dot next to it...i use the dot to browse the threads i have posted to without having to go thru every single one in search of a thread i may be involved in a discussion in.....sometimes i post to so many different threads if there was no black dot i might forget what/where i posted...just a quick way to browse thru!!!

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kosh,
Thank you very much. I thought my replies were the only one's with the dot. Your saying, you get the dot too. We all get the dot!
Yea! I've been trying to figure this dot thing out for two weeks.
Thanks,

Ernie

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I'm glad Kosh replied to that question, because even though I am an 'Arachnobaron' I didn't have a clue either LOLOL! :D

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
That is what I thought as well but then I look at the faces of my Usumbura and my H Maculata and they arent very ape like.
Are you trying to tell me this guy ain't monkey faced? :)

(picture from Arachnocenter)

Attachments

Last edited:

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess if I really use my imagination. All spiders are monkey faced then.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Thats right hes not. Actually, hes orange kinda like a orangutan !

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Holley hit it. The teletubbie thing came in second... ...I think.
Anyways, Baboon because large hairy spiders of the Dark Continent resemble, well, Baboon hands.
john

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I dont see the resemblance to a baboon hand at all so I am bnot buying that story until somebody shows me documentation.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Botar...

If you think the teletubbies aren't scary try watching them. I found them while flipping the channels once and they scared the hell outta me. Too many eerie little happy sounds coming out of them.
Phil